Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Setters

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Setters

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Cassiopea

[quote author=Val link=topic=12477.msg241111#msg241111 date=1221672206]
    What country do you show in?
    [/quote]

At this time I show my gordon in Lithuania, but in winter we are plaining to go to Latvia

kizkiznobite

🙂 well….it brill compared to mine and other members lithuanian…so well done you  🙂

ok setters…

my take as a behaviourst and a gunner mad woman…

irish
    hard to cue (train) if high drive..as in high working drive..but when the light bulb goes on they brill…it just might take some time

the irish red and white

all of the above but they add some..they add a certain loyalty that is there form day one…they are faster thinkers and decision makers…

the english..
    mmm…well…been a while since i found a working english….they pretty and they aloof and the drive is some what weaker these days…

the gordon

ok…love me hate me but…for me these are the ‘clowns’ of the gunner world…they adorable and they faithful and they are loves but…they do the….’ok what we doing…ah right we doing that then ah ok just a second i need to do this ok? ahh right then done that now what we doing?’ and so on…
    others will no doubt have a different opinion… 🙂

Cassiopea

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12477.msg241117#msg241117 date=1221672756]
    🙂 well….it brill compared to mine and other members lithuanian…so well done you  🙂

ok setters…

my take as a behaviourst and a gunner mad woman…

irish
    hard to cue (train) if high drive..as in high working drive..but when the light bulb goes on they brill…it just might take some time

the irish red and white

all of the above but they add some..they add a certain loyalty that is there form day one…they are faster thinkers and decision makers…

the english..
    mmm…well…been a while since i found a working english….they pretty and they aloof and the drive is some what weaker these days…

the gordon

ok…love me hate me but…for me these are the ‘clowns’ of the gunner world…they adorable and they faithful and they are loves but…they do the….’ok what we doing…ah right we doing that then ah ok just a second i need to do this ok? ahh right then done that now what we doing?’ and so on…
    others will no doubt have a different opinion… 🙂
    [/quote]

How nice and funny  😉 But very correct…

Anonymous

My dog plays with a Gordon Setter in the park, he’s a very nice dog but a bit bigger than yours. I think he eats too much food since i last saw him.

Cassiopea

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=12477.msg241123#msg241123 date=1221675466]
    My dog plays with a Gordon Setter in the park, he’s a very nice dog but a bit bigger than yours. I think he eats too much food since i last saw him.
    [/quote]

I try don’t overfeed this gordon…

Anonymous

Your one looks good. Very good in fact, the one i know is a bit too fat really. He likes food.  ;D

travis

Hello and welcome 🙂

Cassiopea

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=12477.msg241125#msg241125 date=1221676949]
    Your one looks good. Very good in fact, the one i know is a bit too fat really. He likes food.  ;D
    [/quote]

If gordon will be overfeed he is susceptible to fatten

Hi and welcome, beautiful Setter, lovely face  🙂

hi and welcome, my daughter was only asking if there was a godon setter on this board…and now there is, she is very pleased  😀

Cassiopea

[quote author=Kerry_and_Beau link=topic=12477.msg241145#msg241145 date=1221679762]
    hi and welcome, my daughter was only asking if there was a godon setter on this board…and now there is, she is very pleased  😀
    [/quote]

It’s nice to hear  😉

*Nick*

Hello!  Your English is excellent!  As Kiz said, it’s a lot better than my lithuanian  :yes:

Your Gordon is  very good looking! Not surprised you show and do well.

I think Kiz’s basic breakdown of the different Setters is accurate.
    Personally I only know a couple of Gordons and while they are stunning dogs they are very ‘show-bred’ and don’t have much hunting drive left.
    The red and whites are a great breed. My dogs breeder also raises red and whites and they are beautiful, loving, intelligent and loyal with a strong hunting drive. Quite close ranging dogs, no more than 50 yards out .
    The Irish in my opinion is possibly the most beautiful dog breed..however due to some ‘bad’ breeding they can be dumb as a bag of broken hammers. There are still some amazing working lines out there though.
    The English Setter working and show lines are sooo different over here. personally I don’t care for the show English look but the Field Trial lines are amazing. They are an extremely popular dog over here for field trials (horseback) as well as hunting (we only do ‘rough shooting’ over here)  They’ve been bred to range almost as far as an English Pointer and are truly spectacular dogs.

There’s also an offshoot of the English called the Llewellin (sp) a much closer working dog for the foot hunter

Looking forward to this thread and other talk about Setters  8)

hello and welcome  ;D

Cassiopea

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12477.msg241186#msg241186 date=1221684653]
    Hello!  Your English is excellent!  As Kiz said, it’s a lot better than my lithuanian  :yes:

Your Gordon is  very good looking! Not surprised you show and do well.

I think Kiz’s basic breakdown of the different Setters is accurate.
    Personally I only know a couple of Gordons and while they are stunning dogs they are very ‘show-bred’ and don’t have much hunting drive left.
    The red and whites are a great breed. My dogs breeder also raises red and whites and they are beautiful, loving, intelligent and loyal with a strong hunting drive. Quite close ranging dogs, no more than 50 yards out .
    The Irish in my opinion is possibly the most beautiful dog breed..however due to some ‘bad’ breeding they can be dumb as a bag of broken hammers. There are still some amazing working lines out there though.
    The English Setter working and show lines are sooo different over here. personally I don’t care for the show English look but the Field Trial lines are amazing. They are an extremely popular dog over here for field trials (horseback) as well as hunting (we only do ‘rough shooting’ over here)  They’ve been bred to range almost as far as an English Pointer and are truly spectacular dogs.

There’s also an offshoot of the English called the Llewellin (sp) a much closer working dog for the foot hunter

Looking forward to this thread and other talk about Setters  8)
    [/quote]

Thanks for the nice words about my gordon… The first my gordon was more working type not show, but in that time gordon was rare breed in Lithuania so we had LT CH very fast…

Yes, English setters is very differnt, but I like show lines setters because they are very impression Espacially yellow belton ant tricolor…

Nyssa

Hi, nice to hear about your Gordon Setter.

I have 3 setters, two Irish (red) and one Irish Red & White.  The two reds are very chilled and laid back about life, but you can see the working origin in the red & white, she has a much more active brain than the other two.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime