Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

She’s here at last!

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk She’s here at last!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73
    quote :

Take the lead off and run in the house making silly noises she will follow.

BWAHAHAHAHA! The idiotic things we do for the sake of teaching our dogs something. But hey, if it works, it works! Good thing my puppers always been so easy that i never had to behave like a loonatic (-more than 100 times and IN PUBLIC. But am still counting even though puppers are no puppers no more  :embarrass: .)

Beautiful puppy you got there, Vickydoo, beau-ti-ful.

awww she is sooo cute  ;D ;D

Vickydoo

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice.

Heidi is getting better at coming when called but still a way to go I think.  I try jumping around while calling her name and making a lot of noise and try tempting her with toys and sometimes it works and sometimes she just sits there watching me!  ???  This is in the house as well as outside.

I don’t think she is getting toilet training at all.  We take her out often using cue words when she goes and lots of praise but she is still having accidents in the house and there is no sign of her asking to go out when she needs to go.

Begging for food is another bad habit I am having trouble with.  We have never given her food when she begs, but it’s something she has done from day 1.  I am trying to train “off” when she jumps up at us at times when we are not eating.  Is that the right way to go about it? I don’t know how else to do it as surely if we give her a treat for staying down when we are eating she will think she has had some of our food??

Val

Dogs will always try to steal food it’s in their blood just ignore her if she jumps up turn your body away without saying anything.
    As for house training sometimes less is better sounds like she’s loosing her in and out and her out and in confused I think she is  :confused: stick to a pattern after all meals after sleeping after playing.
    As for getting her in think if she’s sitting to watch you it’s because it’s a tad OTT
    Val.

Val

PS does she have the run of the house?

Vickydoo

She doesn’t have full run of the house. Some rooms are shut off (not really to keep her out just because certain doors are always closed). 

But she will spend most of her time in the living room or in the kitchen.

So cut back on the number of times I take her out and not act so much like a mad women when trying to get her to come!

Izzie

whereabouts are you based Vicky?

Vickydoo

I’m in Aberdeenshire, in a little village about 20 mins south of Aberdeen.

Val

Thats fine as new pups that have the run of a house sometimes get lost as to where the door to the garden is, Yes see if less letting out works, she will be more ready to pee out side and thats when you can reward her
    Val

[quote author=Vickydoo link=topic=15512.msg278018#msg278018 date=1290074891]
    She doesn’t have full run of the house. Some rooms are shut off (not really to keep her out just because certain doors are always closed). 

But she will spend most of her time in the living room or in the kitchen.

So cut back on the number of times I take her out and not act so much like a mad women when trying to get her to come!
    [/quote]

Izzie

[quote author=Vickydoo link=topic=15512.msg277992#msg277992 date=1290004643]
    Begging for food is another bad habit I am having trouble with.  We have never given her food when she begs, but it’s something she has done from day 1.  I am trying to train “off” when she jumps up at us at times when we are not eating.  Is that the right way to go about it? I don’t know how else to do it as surely if we give her a treat for staying down when we are eating she will think she has had some of our food??
    [/quote]

Train her to go to a mat, do it when you arent eating- look up on here for ‘snoozy’ that way you can cue her to snoozy/mat when you are eating and she cant beg for food.

For the toilet issues, have a read on cubert clumber thread, Bev wrote quite a bit on that.

Vickydoo

I was actually trying to train her “on the rug” earlier in the week in the hope that would work for when we are eating but then decided it was probably a stupid idea and maybe too confusing for her.

Would this have to be taught with a clicker?  I have been reading a lot about the clicker training on here (and just read about snoozy) but unsure if it’s something I should be using or not.

I think I will try to go back to training snoozy.  She learnt in your bed very quickly so hoping she will pick this up too.

Also for toilet training, some people say don’t treat when she goes only, praise as using a treat may cause her not to fully go as she just wants a reward.  Do you think we should be treating?

On a plus side she did good recall in the garden today even with the school kids screaming next door and her heel work is going well today too.

Izzie

it would be easier and quicker to do it by clicker training

Val

When I say reward I do not mean food my dogs would rather work for happy words and a lot of kisses.
    Val

Vickydoo

We’re doing it wrong but I don’t know where we are doing it wrong.

So yesterday she was much better and we only had a couple of very small accidents in the house, then when my OH got home she had about 6 pees in the house within about 2 hours.

The same is happening again tonight.  She is much more hyper in the evenings, running about like a mad thing.  We take her our after each accident and she seems to go but I am starting to think she is faking it!

I think we may have to start again from the beginning on this one..

We did start “snoozy” with her doggy duvet today and she has picked it up so quickly, it’s not quiet fluent yet as at times she is trying to do a few other “tricks” first.  I don’t have a clicker yet (will get one tomorrow) so this was done without.

Going to start re-reading Cubert’s thread again to see if I can work out where we have gone wrong.  In the mean time here are some more photos

[img width=468 height=351]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/icklescottishlass/Other/Sleeping.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=353]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/icklescottishlass/Other/IMG_0163.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=351]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/icklescottishlass/Other/IMG_0145.jpg[/img]

Izzie

before you use a clicker read the charging a clicker thread first  :ok:

If you can, get yourself to a clicker class and watch for an evening, you want a class who dont use punishment as a training method.

She is beautiful  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime