Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

smelly skin

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health smelly skin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

Tila’s skin on her belly, arm pits and inner back legs are very scabby and smelly. When we first got her she had bad wee burns on her private area and legs so we shaved her belly/legs off to apply some aleo vera which has cleared it perfectly. Her hair is all pretty much back in but we’ve noticed that in her armpits/belly and inner back legs on her skin gets little scabs all over which eventually drop off but it’s also very smelly. A musky kinda smell. We’ve been applying aleo vera to it all but it hasn’t helped with the scabbing or smell. The scabs also go all the way up to the start of her chest and since her fur is so thick we cannit get in to put some cream on it?? any idea’s what it is and what i can apply to get rid of it and the awful smell? ???
    :help:

Anonymous

no advice – just *hugs*

*Lassie*

If there is hair loss and excessive dander, skin and hair is oily and crusty, use an anti-seborrhoeic shampoo. Or it could be a fungal infection – smelly, moist areas; hair loss on armpits, between toes and pads, neckline where collar rubs on folds of skin then use antiseptic, anti-fungal shampoo.
    Best check with a vet first as there may be a skin infection that needs treating first 😉

Dree

What are you feeding her?  I take it this is a rescue dog?  (Sorry, I don’t know her history.)  How long have you had her?  Sometimes it is best to let the toxins out, rather then suppress them.  You obviously helped the initial burns by treating them, but the toxins are still coming out.  I work with herbs, so would try to help.  But would need to know breed, what age, what you feed, if vaccinated…and if so, when last vaccinated.  Do you use Frontline, or anything similar?  If so, when was it last used?  The main things the cause this sort of skin condition are vaccines, Frontline (or similar flea treatments) and food.

*Lassie*

Could also be the result of a flea allergy, dog itches, scratches and bites the skin – the normal bacteria on the skins surface enters through the damaged surface. The aloe could help heal the skin but there may be underlying infection, there is a name for it but I can’t for the life of me remember it. Kiz or Val will know 😉 

Anonymous

for Dree …

She’s a German Shepherd x Akita and yes she is a rescue dog (a failed foster!!).  I think Laura feeds Naturediet and she’s had her since June and she was speyed in June. 

Claire x

[img width=351 height=468]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/Dodger_030/Nova150608026.jpg[/img]

Anonymous

Sounds like a yeast infection Laura get the Benzl Benzoate mix it 50/50 with a good shampoo and give her a good scrub all over, it could be stress but it could be food related.
    Put up a list of everything that passes her mouth
    Val

*Nat*

Poor girlie, hope you get her sorted Laura  :-*

hope shes better soon ((hugs))

((hugs)) hope she is feeling better soon  :-*

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12452.msg240763#msg240763 date=1221548832]
    for Dree …

She’s a German Shepherd x Akita and yes she is a rescue dog (a failed foster!!).  I think Laura feeds Naturediet and she’s had her since June and she was speyed in June. 

Claire x

[img width=351 height=468]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/Dodger_030/Nova150608026.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]

Thanks, Claire.  🙂  I had a GSD which started me on the road to raw, and she started off with these sort of symptoms.  If this was my dog, I would give her homeopathic Sulphur 30 once a day.  I would also give her a Sulphur bath.  The proper sulphur bath needed is only available from herbalists, but I can get you some if you want.  Or you could use Calendula tincture externally, which will help the dog feel better.  Calendula is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, etc.  (You can buy this from Baldwins.) The sulphur pillules will encourage the infection to come out….which is what you want.  I would try that first, and see what happens.  It might be the food…..GSD’s are notorious for food allergies, but I would try the Sulphur and Calendula first. 

.dodger.

If there is hair loss and excessive dander, skin and hair is oily and crusty, use an anti-seborrhoeic shampoo. Or it could be a fungal infection – smelly, moist areas; hair loss on armpits, between toes and pads, neckline where collar rubs on folds of skin then use antiseptic, anti-fungal shampoo.
    No hair loss or dandruff, skin isn’t oily just has the scabs that peal off after a while. Nothing between her toes, pads, neck or folds of skin. Just her under belly, armpits and the insde of her back legs.

How long have you had her? You obviously helped the initial burns by treating them, but the toxins are still coming out. 
    i’ve had her 3 months now and the wee burns were sorted within a couple of weeks. They not a problem now.

Sounds like a yeast infection Laura get the Benzl Benzoate mix it 50/50 with a good shampoo and give her a good scrub all over, it could be stress but it could be food related.
    Put up a list of everything that passes her mouth
    Val
    will have a look at the shampoo thanks Val – she gets burns with nature diet for her meals but she’s never had any problems with it before now, she does get the raw bones in the morning and occationally the raw meat/veg/pasta/rice/mash for her tea. She’s not been given a change of diet since we changed her when she first came here so i ruled out a food problem :-\

Dree

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=12452.msg240810#msg240810 date=1221572374]

will have a look at the shampoo thanks Val – she gets burns with nature diet for her meals but she’s never had any problems with it before now, she does get the raw bones in the morning and occationally the raw meat/veg/pasta/rice/mash for her tea. She’s not been given a change of diet since we changed her when she first came here so i ruled out a food problem :-\
    [/quote]

Can I suggest that you drop the Burns?  I would put money on it that it’s causing the problem.  I’ve had other dogs with problems with this food.  It can take a few weeks to a few months for problems with a complete food to show up….and showing up as a skin problem is classic.  Try dropping the Burns.

Anonymous

Hi,

Laura – is it complete or meal burns ? 

Claire x

.dodger.

complete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime