Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

so..you getting a new pack addition…

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked so..you getting a new pack addition…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

The general view is to introduce a new pup to an existing dog on neutral ground – I do not go with this theory because the pup has to be in the home environment and what is gained by neutral ground? So I start as we mean to go on – my pack manager comes with us – pup in car – pup gets home – and off we go (there is a thread about when I brought brose home)

The important thing is to let them get on with it, remove all resources like toys, half eaten bones etc then be there just in case – ignore the established dog saying stuff like – what is it?  Is it staying?  That’s my toy?  – do not reinforce any behaviour – just ignore. Let the pup sniff about and find her/his feet – the exits in to the garden – the position of the beds – the food bowls etc

If you are changing the diet from the breeder then do it slowly – add the new food a bit at a time to the old food gradually increasing the new and reducing the old

Get pup out a.s.a.p. – A sling around the neck – you can take out but not put down where other dogs have been until 7 days after the last vac – boost the immune system of the resident dog – start about 5 days before the new pup arrives but the new pup will be getting good exposure from the existing dog so do not reduce contact

As the days pass by you will see which dog is going to be the pack manager – make sure you reinforce that dogs status – if it is the new pup, and believe me that can hurt, just have one to one time out with the older dog when the pup is away or sleeping etc.

Start training on day 2 – see – you have a new pup, criteria and the best place to be posts – put the older dog away with a bone or a kong when doing training sessions – the new pup cannot learn if yapping or crying going off – keep the puppy sessions real short 5 minutes max each time for the first 2 weeks then reinforce the learning in every day life – like sit before dinner bowl is put down etc – use the older dog at these times too – the pup will learn more off the older dog in the first few months that you can teach – this is called Allelomimetic Conditioning – copied learning from manager, either dog or human – use this to your advantage

*Nat*

Very interesting Bev – shal put it into practice one day!  ;D

toppy

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5319.msg85200#msg85200 date=1161611364]
    The important thing is to let them get on with it, remove all resources like toys, half eaten bones etc then be there just in case – ignore the established dog saying stuff like – what is it?  Is it staying?  That’s my toy?  – do not reinforce any behaviour – just ignore. Let the pup sniff about and find her/his feet – the exits in to the garden – the position of the beds – the food bowls etc
    [/quote]

I would never of thought of that!  ::)  🙂
    Love posts like this!!

xtine

At what age is best to get a new addition?? Ideally?

toppy

[quote author=xtine link=topic=5319.msg85206#msg85206 date=1161612225]
    At what age is best to get a new addition?? Ideally?
    [/quote]

Ooooooooooo xtine, you going to get another?  😀

xtine

no not yet… but it doesn’t hurt to ask the question does it??  >:D  ;D

kizkiznobite

it depends on the resident dog and his/hers state of physical health and mind and how well trained or not that dog is and what time you have – dogs communicate to each other faster then lightening – bad stuff gets taught as well as the good – it really does depend on the house system in place

xtine

so…definately not yet then in my case! LOL

toppy

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5319.msg85209#msg85209 date=1161612540]
    it depends on the resident dog and his/hers state of physical health and mind and how well trained or not that dog is and what time you have – dogs communicate to each other faster then lightening – bad stuff gets taught as well as the good – it really does depend on the house system in place
    [/quote]

i know its hard for you to say…..but what kind of training does the resident dog need to know! is it just basic things like – sit, down, come back,  etc things like that! or does it go further?

kizkiznobite

it is more about what you want of the dog – what you are prepared to live with – but…remember if you get another dog you have this times 2 so it is a whole new ball game

kizkiznobite

ok lets use an example to explain

komtessa asked for this post as they get bluebell this weekend

they have nacho – a well trained well balanced healthy boyo – but…he had bad door manners – now…if they had not done something about it then they would have 2 full grown weims with bad door manners – it is what you can cope with – if it don’t matter to you that your dog has bad door manners because you deal with it fine – but…if you getting another one then it adds some  ;D – ok? with me?

toppy

ok, i think i understand now! so, basically whatever your dog does, the new addition will probably follow and do the same?

Like milly barks when someone is at the door, but once the door is opened and she knows who is there, she stops barking and wants to play with the person at the door! – so the new dog would do the same?? or am i getting all this wrong?  :-[  ::)

kizkiznobite

if you are happy with that then well and good – i would not be but keep a pack and i am a manager  – but what i am saying is would you be happy for 2 dogs to behave that way? if not then you have to sort out the residents dog behaviour before the new addition arrives

toppy

ok i see!!

I like her to give me a little bark when somone is at the door as i don’t always hear it, but i would prefer her once i go to the door to go back in the house and do whatever!! how would i do that??

Anonymous

great info thanks!! we done this when we went to get Tyson as Molly was still young wanted to make sure they were ok with eachother on pups turf, then the car, then the journey then mollys turf. We knew from previous dogs how Trixie would be, she stays away and it was best to introduce on Trixie turf so she had knowledge of where to go to avoid contact with the new pup ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime