Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Spring Poles

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Spring Poles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    galax

Hi again everyone just wanted some views on Spring Poles, the nurse at our vets has a number of dogs, one being a Staffy she told me a good way to excersise Staffs is to make a Spring Pole, she said her Staff has about 10 mins a day on one, she advised its really good for them as they really enjoy the use of them and it uses all their strengh and muscles  which then makes them more fit and healthy.
    I’m not to convinced , my Staff occasionally likes to swing on a low branch, surley it would encourage them to grab and hold on if they used a Spring Pole, I personally dont like the idea just wondered what everyone elses views would be on this Thanks 🙂

GSPmad

what i have heard of them i don’t like – but have never actually seen one or seen one in use so can’t comment. but from what i have heard they are used to build up dogs for fighting.  >:D i may be talking out of my jacksie though.

*Nat*

Just found this –

The Concept of the Spring Pole
    Concept: A springy mechanism attached to a toy or “bite surface” assembled in a way that a dog can grab and hold the toy and at the same time tug while the spring provides resistance.

Yep can see how this could be associated with dog fighting  :-\ Not something I’d like to use – the sites I found when I Googled it mainly mentioned Pit Bulls!

GSPmad

yes that’s the impression i got – mainly to build shoulder and jaw muscles for fighting…..  :-\ 🙁 swimming in rivers, chasing tennis balls and playing tag with other dogs they enjoy and makes them more fit and healthy – without that sort of connotation.  🙂 i would also wonder if that sort of exercise might actually risk injury because of the way they would have to tug and balance etc?  ??? (spring pole that is).

galax

Thanks everyone, I dont play tug of war with my Staff when I do I make sure she Leaves it when told, I would of thought a Spring Pole would also cause frustration due to the dog never being able to win against the spring, would be interesting to get some Staffy owners views 🙂

*Nat*

As GSPmad has mentioned above I think there are much kinder and fun ways of exercising your dog  🙂

Am just not keen on the idea but that’s just a hunch, not a scientific answer, I instinctively feel that there are other games and toys that can encourage these muscles.  Hiow did you get on to it with the vet, just suprised is all  🙂

galax

I have an achillies tendon problem at the moment so I’ve had to cut down on her excersie for a bit,she’s not bothered by less excercise she’ll quite happily sleep all day, I mentioned this to the nurse and she mentioned the spring pole 🙂

GSPmad

brain games.  😉 clicker training.  🙂 stuffed kongs. playing fetch in the garden – what i do when have had reall bad flu etc, sort of prop myself against door post and throw a ball.  😀

not sure there are many staffie owners on the forum, can’t think of any off the top of my head – apologies if i’ve forgotten someone.  :-[

*Nat*

Pipped me to it Terry, was about to suggest all that  😀

GSPmad

;D my fingers are on fire.  😀 (obviously not literally or i would be screaming and running to the tap  ;D ;D ;D ).

galax

Hi, she gets plenty of extra excersice in the garden she is quite happy playing with her tennis ball with the kids, my son has made an agility course for her too, its me who’s missing the walks I  hate not being able to walk as much 🙁 i have been looking on You Tube at some Spring Pole videos not very impressed with them at all. 🙂

GSPmad

the vids on youtube are worse than what i thought they were like.  😮 😮 😮 :-X :-X :-X >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfLaOTcyeLU

Gracie

didnt know what the spring poles were till saw that vid – dont like them  😛

what is it about staffies and tree branches a staffie friend of Gracie love swing off and pulling bits of trees down, although to be fair totally reinforced :-X

if its the walks that you are missing the spring pole wont really help  🙂
    Hope your leg gets better soon  🙂 i second what the others have said freeshaping etc will give her something different to do

Izzie

[quote author=Gracie link=topic=11849.msg226348#msg226348 date=1214262121]
    didnt know what the spring poles were till saw that vid – dont like them  😛

[/quote]

neither did I!  😮 😮

I can sympathise Galax, having spent the last 3 years recovering from an ankle injury myself which is looking more unlikely, but some freestyle and sniffing out games are great ideas!  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime