Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Spring Poles

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Spring Poles

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    galax

Im quite lucky with Freckles she’s very laid back she’s active if we’re active and if we’re not she’ll sleep,just been looking on a Staffy forum and they all love the Spring Pole, I can understand when they say its a natural thing for a Staff to do,grab and hold on as that is what they were breed to do (bull baiting) but wouldn’t that be a negitive thing for a Staff to learn to do,I just dont like the look of it at all,I think i’ll stick to tennis balls and agility, thanks all for your views 🙂

*Nat*

It’s certainly not a behaviour I’d want to encourage, in any breed  🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=galax link=topic=11849.msg226381#msg226381 date=1214302781]
    but wouldn’t that be a negitive thing for a Staff to learn to do,I just dont like the look of it at all,I think i’ll stick to tennis balls and agility, thanks all for your views 🙂
    [/quote]

i agree – think it’s a negative thing to be encouraging any breed to do – raw bones are good exercise for mouths and tennis balls and agility and swimming good exercise for the rest of body and clickers good exercise for the brain.  🙂

.dodger.

there’s one tree at plessey woods that dodger hangs off of trying to get this massive branch so i can imagine he would love to spring pole idea even though i certainly don’t. I think that vid says it all why i don’t like them >:(

kizkiznobite

i used to have a springer that as a pup would grab the washing on the rotary line and go round and round and round – when i realised what it was doing to her front end muscles i dumped the rotary and went back to a normal wash line

nikki_kev

They should only be used if you have an excellent ‘leave’ command.  It is excellent for muscle building and conditioning – many staffies use them and so do the show dogs.
    They are not associted with dog fighting and if a policeman was to see a staffie using one they wouldn’t have a problem.  As long as you are a responsible owner and train your dog to leave then there are no problems. 
    If I had space for one, I would let my guys use it…but unfortunately I don’t.

x

*Nick*
    quote :

As long as you are a responsible owner and train your dog to leave then there are no problems. 

present company excluded. a “responsible” bully breed owner is pretty hard to find on this continent.

nikki_kev

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=11849.msg239189#msg239189 date=1220477915]

quote :

As long as you are a responsible owner and train your dog to leave then there are no problems. 

present company excluded. a “responsible” bully breed owner is pretty hard to find on this continent.
    [/quote]

I know far many more responsible bull breed owners than I do not.  Unfortunately it is only the irresponsible owners who give the wonderful breed a bad name. 

My dogs and I were set upon by a JRT, a Hungarian Vizla and 2 lurchers the other night.  I had full control over my dogs, yet this woman was screaming and shouting at her dogs to return to her.  Her JRT snapping at my dogs, one of which is Dog aggressive, but I was very proud of her and she just sat and looked at me as if to say ‘this dog is a fool mum’.  Knowing I have a dog aggressive dog, makes me even more aware of other dogs/owners…she is never off lead unless in an area I can see has no other dogs.  Her recall is 110% and she wouldn’t bolt off after another dog.

x

.dodger.

[quote author=nikki_kev link=topic=11849.msg239203#msg239203 date=1220479898]
    I know far many more responsible bull breed owners than I do not.  Unfortunately it is only the irresponsible owners who give the wonderful breed a bad name. 
    [/quote]

😮 😮 😮 i’m sorry but where on earth do you live! i have yet to find more than one responsible staffy owner round here!

i’m glad your dogs are well behaved, the breed needs more people like you.

nikki_kev

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=11849.msg239209#msg239209 date=1220480878]
    [quote author=nikki_kev link=topic=11849.msg239203#msg239203 date=1220479898]
    [/quote]

😮 😮 😮 i’m sorry but where on earth do you live! i have yet to find more than one responsible staffy owner round here!

i’m glad your dogs are well behaved, the breed needs more people like you.
    [/quote]

I am in Buckinghamshire, in the UK

x

lots of staffies round here – see loads when driving to work – got me thinking about what you said bev – they young men with them off the lead. Same here young staffs 2 years max id say and they just trot alonside their owners never budging an inch!!

emma_pen

I know a LOT of resposible and fantastic Staffie owners here in the North East – people only take note of the bad ones because the good ones are no more noticeable than the owners of any other breed.

We had a dog brought in who broke his maxilla and several teeth using a spring pole so I don’t like them either.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime