Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Still struggling with my boys tummies :-(

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Still struggling with my boys tummies :-(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mrs L

hi 

further to my recent colitis post, I’m still struggling with my 2 boys’ tummies … I’ve got them on chicken and rice but their poos are still yellow and not completely solid – it’s not like it was when we went down the vet route, but is still not how it should be. We tried the Chappy for a couple of weeks – literally introduced it a spoonful per meal and that set them right back. I’m also doing bio yoghurt – a spoon or 2 a day.

I really don’t know what to do next – I was debating the hills tins from the vet in case it had more vits etc. than the home done rice / chicken… I don’t know if I should have tests done on them, or what to do!! they are happy in themselves and not dehydrated, but they are not right tummy wise at all –

please help!

thank you

Izzie

Have you tried mashed potatoe and white fish?

Mrs L

we did a bit of mash at one point – we were alternating with fish / chicken and rice / pasta / spud, but then took it just to chicken and rice to try and eliminate different foods – ha – is probably chicken and rice they are bad with!!   

is fish / mash better than chicken and rice? also, I was just crumbling boiled potato – is that the right way to do the mash please?

thanks

Izzie

I just mash up overcooked boiled pots

try them on mash and white fish for a few days

it might be the chicken or the rice upsetting them

Bevers2406

Just checking, in my experience Chappie-wise the only really good one for jippy tums is the original flavour. I was quite surprised to find several varieties when I last looked at the shelves. Make sure you’ve not got one of their new-fangled ones.

How about pasta instead of rice? My old girl had liver cancer and had terrible digestion probs – but worked for us may not work for collitis.

I used to give her plain organic pasta, with live yoghurt with the tiniest bit of something tasty like ham cut up very find to make it smell nice. And then at a separate meal raw lambs liver  NZ) and organic carrot juice. It used to make me feel a bit queazy –  but she loved it!

It was a weird menu – we also added powdered vit c and the vet gave us green capsules of pig’s pancreatic juices to aid digestion but I think they are no longer available.

Before this diet she had terrible upset tums, she was never jippy on this and lived for 7 years on this weird diet and looked amazing. I know collitis is different, but this weird diet was John Carter’s idea – the cancer vet I mentioned on another post – and it was designed to be as simple as possible to give the body the least work to digest it, the pasta meal shouldn’t be too big and was only introduced for our dog after she was stable on the liver and carrot juice. But if my dog could process pasta then there’s a hope your’s could, too!

When I looked at the ingredients in the prescription diets there were so many things you wouldn’t have to add if you made the food yourself fresh – and that would make the dog’s life a lot easy as it was just processing food.

Beverley

Diesel73
    quote :

in my experience Chappie-wise …

You mean Chappie, the tin can food?

I would say if the rice and chicken isnt working then try something else.

Mash and turkey maybe a start?  pasta may be ok but go for wheat free………

*Lassie*

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=13595.msg259345#msg259345 date=1233518053]

quote :

in my experience Chappie-wise …

You mean Chappie, the tin can food?
    [/quote]

Yes Diesel :yes:
    And then at a separate meal raw lambs liver  NZ) and organic carrot juice. It used to make me feel a bit queazy –  but she loved it!

I would not give a dog with the s**** raw liver but I would give raw liver if the dog was constipated

*Lassie*

Mrs L are you making sure you overcook the rice or it won’t work. You can do fish and rice/potato/pasta, Tam can’t eat too much chicken or he gets the squits 😉
    Have you cut out all other food e.g treats and no one else is feeding them titbits?

Lassie I wonder if rice is part of the problem as its just not going away now ?  :-\

Colitis is a symptom right not the problem so………

According to the breed specific site, the best thing for CKCS is potato!  I agree with Suz, try stopping the rice, is it white rice BTW? 

defo try mash and fish my beau cannot tolerate chicken but fish is fine 🙂 just mash your well cooked spuds with no butter or anything and mix your cooked white fish into the mash  🙂

.dodger.

yup i always find that mash is the best thing along with chicken for my dodge because he can’t handle any kind of fish except tuna 🙂

Bevers2406

Raw liver on a dog with terrible digestion problems was against all my instincts, too –  but I had tried everything else with zero success so when it was suggested by my quite eccentric vet, I gave it a try. Sally’s upset tum would often be so extreme she’d have blood in it, her spine was sticking up through her coat she as so poorly and her coat was terribly thin. She had a terminal diagnosis so I guess I was happy to give anything a go.

I was a complete sceptic, but on raw liver and carrot juice she quickly became totally firm and really enjoyed the diet when before she’d had no appetite  and was often throwing back anything she did eat – apart for stealing broccoli from my shopping!

Pasta was only added a month or so later to start putting on weight as the liver diet was deficient in carbs, but it was brought in gradually and as she seemed tolerant to it we didn’t vary it. 

I was a sceptic when I switched, but for eight years my previously very jippy dog had organic NZ lambs liver raw and never again did she ever have an upset tum. Guess when dogs would kill an animal the first things they’d eat is the offal and I doubt they’d have got the pan out then!

It was a long time ago so probably a long time before the raw meaty bone lobby. From doing a bit of digging colitis it is said to be less likely on a raw diet.
    Just might be worth checking out a ‘conventional’  raw food forum to see if it might be appropriate in your case? It is as natural diet as you can get.

And it was Chappie – canned that we were talking about. It’s the cheapest and probably the best canned food on the market and great for sensitive tums. But it has to be original flavour – which is fish and rice. It’s not marketed as being for sensitive tums but many vets will tell you how good it is.

Regards
    Beverley

Cheers
    Beverley

*Lassie*

raw liver and carrot juice
    liver is high in vit A which in excess can be bad in it’s self and the diet is nowhere near balanced :-\
    Mrs L  i would go back to the vets first before trying this diet, they may be able to refer you to the Animal Health Trust at Newmarket.
    Are you sure it’s just colitis? the symptoms of pancreatitis (sp) are similar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime