Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

STOP!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

Ok, got it. So, I’m clicking for the stop response to the raised arm. I was doing it out of order. Only just started last night.    I’ve been reading Clicker Gundog but I don’t know what I’d do without you Kiz. It’s like having direct access to the author to clear things up  8)

kizkiznobite

helen was/is my mentor  🙂

*Nick*

I noted many similarities, but you definitely seem to have your own distinctive “slant” on things.  Very valuable resource, I feel very fortunate to have found this site.

We tried it again last night and it went much better. As usual, I’m the one holding my girl back.

A friend at work just got a video-cam for 10 years of service at work and as soon as he’s less excited about it I’m going to borrow it and let you see how we’re doing so far. I’m very pleased with the whistle recall and sit, her stay needs work, her heel/close is getting there, her “this way” is very good , “leave it” is average at best….  so we’re making progress….slowly  😉

kizkiznobite

😀 very observant – the slant as you call it is because helen has highly cued but major active vizzies – i tend to go for the higly cues but less active breeds like clumbers – we meet in the middle  ;D

how have you trained the leave it?

and i mean literally – a what do you do/done exactly  😉

*Nick*

sorry for the late reply, have only had time to drop-in the last couple of days

well, ahem….umm…ermm….ok I haven’t really done anything formal for the leave it up to this point…it’s been one of those things that i keep meaning to get to but…anyway

All I’ve been doing is giving her the ‘leave-it’ cue and ct when she does, so I haven’t been expecting much and have received exactly that.

In my new Positive Gundogs book they start out with treats in a closed hand, progress to placing a treat in the dogs ‘possession’ zone and continue from there

What i really need to do is set up a training schedule…mondays are stop training tuesdays are leave-it etc etc

it’s been hard to keep on track over the holidays

we’ve had Sadie exactly 4 months this friday and it’s her 10 month birthday today  🙂

kizkiznobite

bless 10 months  ;D

schedules mmm – you need to go at the dogs pace and you need to vary what is being trained – so 2 or 3 behaviours in anyone session so boredom doesnt set in and always end on a good note – if not a new achievement then something she already knows

my version of training leave it is on here somewhere – will see if i can find the post for you

*Nick*

thanks as always

btw stop training is not going well  ???

and it’s my fault. I simply can’t get myself coordinated enough to get my arm up, throw the treat click at the right time get another treat do it again blah blah

I feel positively spastic

guess this is why years ago i only spent one shift as a waiter before they put me on bar..I could only carry one plate at a time  ::)

kizkiznobite

clicker in left hand – treats behind clicker – treat in right hand between thumb and middle finger – visula cue first finger and arm high in air – dog stops on seeing visual cue go up you click and release the treat that is between thumb and middle finger over the dogs head – while she eats it you set up for the next one

how much is the air fare to canada  ::) ;D ;D

will look for clairs stop vid

wags

[quote author=BluePic link=topic=2699.msg193502#msg193502 date=1199280528]
    thanks as always

btw stop training is not going well  ???

and it’s my fault. I simply can’t get myself coordinated enough to get my arm up, throw the treat click at the right time get another treat do it again blah blah

I feel positively spastic

guess this is why years ago i only spent one shift as a waiter before they put me on bar..I could only carry one plate at a time  ::)
    [/quote]

😀 😀 😀 😀

sorry but that so sounds like me

i cant possiblly remember
    treat, clicker, balance, remember words, hand signals etc – im just not that co-ordinated – somewhere in amoungst all that you have to breath as well  😮

*Nick*

Ok, thanks for spelling it out for me…I  was…oh never mind  :D…will try again

you don’t want to come to canada right now, it’s -17 degrees today…wait till summer when it’s +35  :-\

is it ok for Sadie to wear her coat today?  😀

kizkiznobite

noooo – i do – hate heat love cold and snow – yes she can  😉

cant find the post with claire doing stop on vid – bloody search engine  ::)

*Nick*

5 minutes ago, backyard, Sadie outside, me inside  😀

[img width=468 height=351]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff307/nmitchell1_photos/IMG_0688.jpg[/img]

*Nick*

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=2699.msg193510#msg193510 date=1199281760]
    noooo – i do – hate heat love cold and snow – yes she can  😉

cant find the post with claire doing stop on vid – bloody search engine  ::)
    [/quote]

ya, i couldn’t find it either

kizkiznobite

lovely – my sort of weather  ;D

wags

am covering childs and dogs eyes

we want snow – all we get is rain

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime