Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Stranglers Desease? (SP)

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Stranglers Desease? (SP)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

A friend on another site sent me this message & asked if i knew about this condition called ‘Stranglers’ in puppies. Can anyone tell me anything about it so that i can tell her more please? I thought this would be the place if anyone would know Dogclub would.  😉

“Do you know anything about puppy stranglers ?? I’ve looked it up on the web but just wondered if you had ever seen it,the glands in the neck swell up and if not treated the dog can’t breathe.

Someone at my dog club has a litter of pups and one has it, it’s not contagious but it has to be on steroids till it recovers and she’s going to put it to sleep cos she’s ” had enough”….maybe the best thing I don’t know but having read about it on here it seems such a shame

I went to see the litter, which I really really shouldn’t have done . It’s got to go back to the vets on Monday for more steroids and a check over and she’s thinking of having it pts then. It’s perfectly happy, playing and eating etc and I guess because it’s been handled so much because it’s been poorly it really is a sweetie……I guess I would be mad though wouldn’t I ?  “

Anonymous

Sounds a right caring breeder she’s had enough so lets put the pup to sleep sounds like she’s breeding for all the wrong reasons sounds like money to me.

Strangler is also called Juvenile Pyoderma. Simply put, the immune system attacks the body, I have seen pups that have only had swellings but have also seem them with open ulcers depends how bad the attack on the immune is, to be honest Mark if it was one of your pups I could write a chapter but with this so called breeder………….. I am inclined not too
    Val

wags

i know a lot about strangles in horses

and its horrible and very contagious

just had a quick nosy on the web and they sound quite similar symptoms  :-X

Anonymous

I do understand Val. I think the friend who asked me about it feels for the puppy & has got a bit emotionally involved but i worry she could be letting herself in for a lifetime of health worries with a sickly pup.

Do you think it would be ill advised of her to take on a puppy with this condition to save it being pts? I know nothing of the actual breeder btw.

GSPmad

[quote author=wags link=topic=12008.msg230363#msg230363 date=1216063972]
    i know a lot about strangles in horses

and its horrible and very contagious

just had a quick nosy on the web and they sound quite similar symptoms  :-X
    [/quote]

strangles in horses is infectious. puppy strangles is an immune thing.  🙂

GSPmad

don’t know why i put a smiley smiley cos they both ‘orrible.  :-\

GSPmad
    Anonymous

Wags it’s an immune thing in dogs  :-\
    Mark I really would not like to say personally I would let the breeder alone, there are plenty of dogs that make a complete recovery but there are others that break out in open ulcers does she want to risk that, the treatment may be quick but could drag on and even end up with a dead puppy there are loads of case histories both here and overseas on the net
    Val

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=12008.msg230368#msg230368 date=1216064267]
    I do understand Val. I think the friend who asked me about it feels for the puppy & has got a bit emotionally involved but i worry she could be letting herself in for a lifetime of health worries with a sickly pup.

Do you think it would be ill advised of her to take on a puppy with this condition to save it being pts? I know nothing of the actual breeder btw.
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Mark,

to be honest it doesnt sound a quality pup to begin with and with strangles too then chances are it could be poorlier than your average pet bred thing BUT having said that – you can advise your friend look heres whats what – get this pup and know what you are in for, or you let pup sleep and get youself a healthy well bred dog.

I think the important thing is she’s aware what she’s possibly getting into and tell her if she does go for it INSURANCE !!!!

There are some good general “for and against” points on here
    http://www.affieloverbreedclubs.co.uk/pyoderma.htm

from a quick google – strangles pups have won at champ level + at crufts – however they can be left with scars, need treatment till 5-6mths old (ALOT of money) and have problems in older age.  Seems a very mixed bag BUT breeders who have had them in their litters seem almost exclusively never to have used them for breeding.

I have seen vets reccommending pts because it is apparently painful and is alot of faff to care for them.

Claire x

I know of a springer who was sold to new owners, 1 day later became very ill.  Spent weeks at the vets, diagnosed with strangles, cost thousands of pounds in treatment.  He’s ok now, still suffers a few things connected with the strangles.  It was a lot of heartache and money and one very ill dog  🙁

*Lassie*

I think the important thing is she’s aware what she’s possibly getting into and tell her if she does go for it INSURANCE !!!!

You would have to tell the insurance company about the strangles as any condition the pup may get linked to this will not be covered. Likely to charge a higher price for cover, sorry Mark but I wouldn’t touch this pup with a barge pole 🙁

Anonymous

It isn’t a quality pup we already know that, i have just been told that it’s not a breeder but just someone who fancied having a litter & will not be repeating the same mistake.

My friend feels the same way as you all rightfully do and was all geared up to really lay into the woman because she thinks it is really bad too but without getting into a debate about poor breeding (which we all know it is) she just felt for this one pup & wanted to save it being pts on monday if it was something she could deal with herself & take it off the woman’s hands.

Anonymous

As hard as it is and as hard as I may seem tell her to walk away
    Val

If its so ill, the kindest thing IMO would be to PTS.  We cant save them all  :'(

Anonymous

I know, it’s awful but that was my initial thought really. A healthy dog is a big enough committment but a dog that potentally could need a LOT of expensive treatment is an even bigger bind. I think she feels that she just shouldn’t have looked at the pups now because she knows that this one pup is facing pts.

It’s such a difficult one but my feeling is that there are so many pups needing a loving home.  :-\

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Stranglers Desease? (SP)’ is closed to new replies.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime