Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Stranglers Desease? (SP)

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Stranglers Desease? (SP)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Yep and if this woman can rely on people with hearts buying sick puppies, she’ll keep on doing it.  If everyone was strong enough to leave pups where they are, maybe the breeders would end up out of pocket and pack it in  :-\

Anonymous

Foxie i think that’s where the problem comes in really because the thing is this pup is not actually that ill as such (at the moment) but does have the condition so it may not have fully ‘erupted’ yet. I think that’s why she feels it could be saved from being pts if it was treatable.

oh how awful what has your friend done Mark?

Anonymous

Hi,

I’m not sure how you can say this puppy is “perfectly ok” as I have read the condition can lead to problems later down the line.  Surely the best you can hope for is that this pup is “ok at the moment”.

Although strangles itself may not be an indication of poor breeding – this lady is a self-admitted pet breeder and by supporting her taking on the sick puppy it just supports the industry of people who ruin breeds.  They can do it all the quicker in HWV as the gene pool is so small  – yes, she might not breed again and you might not but what about the other puppies – can you guarentee them against use ?  not really.  Do you know who bred the bitch originally – was she endorsed and used against her breeders will or was she a pet bred bitch too ?

The fact is that when she thought she’d be saddled with it – she was going to kill it, as soon as you say you’ll hand over money she thinks its worth the effort.

I wouldnt say there is “no point insuring” – yep you might come unstuck with immune type conditions but in the years i have insured both my dogs everything i have claimed for has been accidental and would still have been covered fine.

Did the puppy have 1st vaccs ?  Will not vaccinating mean the dog leads any less of a life (e.g.  will it be left home when you go to dog club/shows as you wouldnt be allowed in?) if so then you definately need to get your club to accept titres (many dont) and get the bloods done.  Also if your dog ever catches one of the vaccd illnesses because of its condition its more likely to be much sicker much sooner.

the fact is that you could have supported reputable breeders but you chose to support someone who has none of the interests of the breed at heart and i personally think that is a shame. 

Claire.

Anonymous
    quote :

Kennel club accredited breeders

i wouldnt compare “reputable” to KCAB !!

not saying some arent but its certainly not “all that” sadly 🙁

Anonymous

I would use homeopathic nodules and not do a chemical vaccination

I’m more concerned about wether to vaccinate or not. The vet says yes but they always do ::) Having already had a dog collapse in the vets waiting room minutes after his first booster and this being an immune thing I am rather reluctant :-\
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

solataire you obviously are intelligent and not made this decision lightly, I wish you well with this pup as you have gone in with your eyes open. I hope you stick around and keep us updated with his/her progress.
    P.S. can we have a picture please ;D

Anonymous

i wouldnt class people knowingly buying from and therefor supporting pet breeders as using their intellegence though – just imo.

*Lassie*

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12008.msg234029#msg234029 date=1217705002]

i wouldnt class people knowingly buying from and therefor supporting pet breeders as using their intellegence though – just imo.
    [/quote]

it happens I do know the breeder of the bitch and the dog so no problems there and she wont be breeding again because the bitch is already booked to be spayed.

Give her a break Claire, the bitch won’t be used again for breeding and the poster knows what she is letting her self in for, she has not gone into it blind.

Anonymous

[/quote]

Piglet, I apologise if I have got it wrong but am I right in thinking you have something to do with rescuing dogs, some would argue that you are supporting pet breeders.

Anonymous

Hi,

Lassie – yes this one bitch is going to be neutered but its never about just one dog is it.  The people who bred this bitch sold her to a “pet breeder” – presumably they took just the same amount of placing their other puppies too.  Are they all neutered?  Will this bitch’s pups all be neutered without being used for breeding – well it depends on the skill of a “pet breeder” to place them in good homes so endorsed or not – really, who knows.  Surely you can see that it is people having these “just one litters” that ruin breeds – smaller genepools and you concentrate the likelyhood for f***-ups through lack of knowledge/experience etc.

I’m not arguing that she’s “gone into it blind” in that she’s clearly well aware of strangles and presumably aware of pet breeder quality.

Soltaire – you tell me how a scrap of a pup 4-5mths old found abandoned and straying, shoved in the pound sentanced to death in 7 days time is supporting pet breeders?  is it because they maybe abandon the pup thinking that in all probability someone might just find it and they might bother to call someone else who might just bother to come and collect it and put it in the pound and then maybe just maybe in a country which has appalling record for treatment of dogs, particularly this breed/type someone might have the time, money and space to rescue it ???

you gotta know that is a whole lotta hope really.

then there’s the pet breeder who sold a pup which found its way into a totally unsuitable home and was allowed to wander free and chalk up some serious vet bills just for them to say we cant pay and just abandon it, disabled and very bashed up. 

its a fair way of thinking to “its ok – theres always rescues to rely on” . . .

lucky for them there was.

not so lucky for the foster dog i had who died BECAUSE he ended up with a rescue making bad choices.

kizkiznobite

[quote author=solataire link=topic=12008.msg234154#msg234154 date=1217768713]
    exactly get rid of rescue and eventually it may end, you never know
       [/quote]

thats a rather sweeping statement is it not?

i assess and rehome and home for clumber rescue as you will know if you read any of my posts….and i take umbrage that even one person thinks that for 25 years i have been either a) wasting my time or b) adding to the problem pool…..

i suggest you read to clueless – falkors story
    holliesocks…oldest living clumber recorded
    samtoo, zak, kali, colin, dexter….a few of the ones we have kept

*Lassie*

yes this one bitch is going to be neutered but its never about just one dog is it.  The people who bred this bitch sold her to a “pet breeder” – presumably they took just the same amount of placing their other puppies too.  Are they all neutered?  Will this bitch’s pups all be neutered without being used for breeding

Claire do you know the people?
    Otherwise how do you know the people that bred the bitch sold her to a pet breeder, when she bought the pup the idea may not have crossed her mind but you have a nice dog and people ask is she going to have pups?
    I bought Willow with no intention to breed from her but I could have if I wanted to and there is nothing the breeder can do about it.
    Surely you can see that it is people having these “just one litters” that ruin breeds – smaller genepools and you concentrate the likelyhood for f***-ups through lack of knowledge/experience etc.
    Of course I know that but there is no way to stop people from breeding from dogs they have bought and no matter how fussy the breeder is about who has her pups this will happen unless ALL pups are neutered before they are homed and that most people would find unacceptable

kizkiznobite

you want stories/poems……..

falkor’s poem
    18 months old and lost….

I was once a lonely dog, looking for a home.
    No place to go, nowhere to sleep, no one to call my own.
    I wandered round the streets of Leeds; in rain and wind and snow.
    I ate what I ever I could beg – always on the go.

My skin was itchy my feet were sore, my body ached with pain.
    No one stopped to give a fuss no one called my name.
    Then men came and caught me and took me to a pound,
    There I stayed and waited – hoping I’d be found.

And then I heard a voice – gentle kind and sweet,
    Her arms reached out and hugged me and took me off my feet.
    “No one again will hurt you was whispered in my ear
    You’ll have a home of your own and suffer no more fear.
    You’ll have a bed that’s warm and dry, and plenty of food to eat.
    And rest assured that when you sleep your dreams will all be sweet”.

And so she tended to my wounds, bathed and brushed my fur
    Telling of the rescue group and what it means to her –
    Of how it’s one big circle – a line that never ends.
    And in the centre there is me protected by new friends.

Now every night I say a prayer to all the gods that be
    “Thank you for the life I live and all you’ve given me
    And protect every dog that is lost upon the streets,
    Please send them a rescue person to lift them off their feet!”

and he does say thanks…every single day…thank you for the food …the groom…the cuddle ..he now 10ish and was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago…given 6 months…he still fighting…look at the clumber holiday pics if you interested….money? yeah he has cost us…worth every single penny…..

hollie’s poem

I have a new home, I’m settled and fed
    I’m all curled up in a nice warm bed
    But I’ll tell you my worries before I forget
    So much pain, so much to regret.
    Loneliness, heartache, confusion and woe..
    all these and more I’ve suffered and know.
    I loved them, the others, the ones who left me.
    But I wasn’t good enough at anything you see.
    And now I am here – will they let me stay?
    Will they want me or will they send me away?
    I don’t mean to be grumpy, I’ll try to be good
    I want them to love me if only they could!
    But how can I trust them? What do I do now?
    To be friendly and playful – I don’t know how.
    Perhaps the will teach me, yeah – teach me new ways..
    and then I can stay with them until the end of my days.

and so she did…..13 years….only vet bill ever for a bite…..13 years!!!! hope your pup lasts as long and brings you as much joy

dexter’s poem

sweet loving boy – well bred..used and abused…didnt have him long but in out hearts and his last days his best ever….

The rooms are so large, filled with strange things
    And high up above it is called a ceiling.
    There are doors to go through and a wall full of glass;
    Throughout of which; I watch the world going past.

There’s a garden and grass, a pond and trees
    To wander about in or lie down at ease
    And up in the meadow there’s a river running by
    Where we go to watch Clumsey’s high in the sky

And when it is dark and lights twinkle above
    Mo mum tells me of the dogs she has loved.
    But how they now shine down on us here below,
    And that when the day comes, to there I shall go.

But for now I am here, watered and fed
    With others just like me, curled up in their beds.
    And I have a new leash and I must learn my name
    But oh! – I am happy – so happy I came.

And if all those dogs high up the sky;
    That twinkle at night as they pass us by
    Had days like these with which I’m now blessed
    Then lucky they were before they went to rest

samone’s poem

yep he could be a git…yep he bit more than once..yep we nuts..yep Momum loved him yep we do what we do and we do it good…

They said I was bad and not at all nice,
    They said I had bitten and might do it twice,
    They said I was grumpy, wouldn’t move of their bed –
    And because of just that they wanted me dead.

“I am nice I am” say’s big boy Sam.
    “Tho I do like a bed after I’ve fed,
    And will give a kiss if I get on back
    I can be happy and that is a fact!”

I’m not ‘domineering’ I just like the best,
    These things have to be judged and put to the test.
    So if you want me to stay – you must be good!
    No trouble at all and behave as you should

Then I will wag my tail when you come home,
    I’ll not wreck the house when left all alone.
    I’ll come when you call – walk to heel on the lead,
    The simple things of life are all that I need!

And then I will love you – but when all has been said
    Just don’t try to pull me from out of your bed!

do not…just do not tell me that rescues should be got rid of…..

you are speaking out of your @£$e

as rough would say…off to put the kettle on….. >:D

Anonymous

[/quote]

Why do you always have to do this Claire? I did say pretty early on that this was NOT intended as a debate on poor breeding, someone i knew just thought the pup in question was worth saving & simply wanted advice in the viability of doing so. She did not ask to be judged, and she did not ask to be patronized about supporting poor breeding practices.

I know you never mean to offend Claire & i know you will be really upset to think you may have put your foot in it, but the fact is you often do a pretty good job of alienating people without trying. I referred my friend here because i believed that if anyone could give sound advice in a non judgemental way then it would be the people on here who have first hand experience of such situations & years of knowledge to offer.

The reason i stated that i did not want a debate on bad breeding was because We already know the pup should not have been bred & we already know what we all think about this sort of thing but the deed was already done so it was pointless getting into a debate on rights & wrongs because it was too late to do anything about it. All we were seeking to do was deal with the aftermath in a sensible and educated way so that an informed decision could be made on what to do for the puppy.

The person who was considering taking this dog on felt that putting it to sleep for a condition that potentially could be easily treated & may not warrant such drastic action was not acceptable without at least trying to give the puppy a chance to live. Personally i think she should be congratulated for being prepared to spend what could be an awful lot of money keeping this dog in good health.

I have to confess i am a little disappointed that this thread has (against my specific request) been taken down this road because this is the only forum i have ever known to show such devotion,  support & help to people who know mistakes have been made & just want to try and do something to help when other people have already given up hope.

I’m not getting into a fight with any of you & i am certainly not going to damage the fantastic friendships i have made on this site because i value you all too much for the help & support i have (and still do) recieve, but i would like to think that a friend of mine could come here to ask for friendly advice on what i know was a very distressing situation for her to get caught up in without being lectured and made to feel like a complete twat.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Stranglers Desease? (SP)’ is closed to new replies.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime