Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Stress

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Stress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

Okay I know that doggies can pick up on your stress – and can comfort etc if you are unwell – however can they pick up on your stress so much that they would physically vomit  ???

I know this sounds a bit extreme however has anyone any experience of this?  As humans we can get so stressed that we are physically sick with it – is it the same for dogs  :-\

wags

i dont know about that BUT Meg has dropped so much weight and i just cant seem to get any on her at all shes just a stress head and with all the added stress of all the other things that have happened well she looks like a coat rack

Mudgie

interesting stuff this – I know that when Nacho was in kennels he looked horrendous when I picked him up  🙁  Not the kennels fault – just him stressing – they even gave him a third meal every day because it was so noticeable.

When I picked him up – he was highly strung and yes he is a weim but he isnt a typical weim in that way –  :-* – he charged past me and went straight to the field for a walk – so he wasnt upset with routine just that “pack wasnt together”

Sweetypye

Personally I think the term “stress” is vastly overused and misused, just like SA.

The word stress originated within the metal working industry, specifically airplanes and has now been adopted into the lingo and every Tom, Dick and Harry suffers with it.

Stress is part of life and it is our duty to ensure that our dogs and ourselves are equipped to deal with it.

If a dog is overwhelmed by a situation then it will have varying symptoms depending on its genetic make up and environmental preparation; a bit like us; some people who cannot cope turn to drink, drugs, food, sex etc etc etc

I have never heard of such an event but of course that does not mean it has never occurred, however I would think it is extremely unlikely unless of course the owner has inadvertently trained it to vomit………..

Either way I would think the first course of action is to change the environment for the dog and treat the owner rather than the dog.

wags

in my own situation though

Meg doesnt cope well with anything she is a natural worrier and has some rather special needs/issues what ever you want to call them – and she will drop weight at anything she also doesnt carry weight either

[img width=468 height=311]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll294/waggiwoo/100_1888.jpg[/img]

This is Meg looking quite uhm plump for her so you can only imagine what she looks like at the moment
    with the added things that have been happening
    – Relationship split
    – 2 dogs left
    – me working more hours
    – Joe starting school
    – no flyball (this is megs outlet she loves flyball)
    – not as much exercise as shes used to
    all in all a hell of a lot of upset and shes dropped an awfull lot of weight – shes having 4 meals a day inc mash potatos, pasta, oats, dry dog food, tripe etc and i seem to be fighting a loosing battle 

hasnt affected the others but then it wouldnt they are much stronger mentally than she is 

Mudgie

Some humans deal better with stress than others too – no matter how well we are equipped  😉

why is she not flyballing wagster

Sweetypye

Can I ask why you are expecting a dog to put on weight by feeding it carbohydrates?

Would not feeding the dog fat be a more productive method?

wags

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=12597.msg243591#msg243591 date=1223033279]
    Some humans deal better with stress than others too – no matter how well we are equipped  😉

why is she not flyballing wagster
    [/quote]

No time, no car, no money

– because if she eats fat type things she tends to uhm poo for britain ok it totally makes her explode tripe doesnt do her the world of good – and as her housetraining isnt fantastic its not my idea of fun –
    she doesnt have a very good digestive system so she needs to eat what she can stomach (if you get my meaning)
    – Meg has some complex issues it doesnt make life easy

now when i get stressed as i am now, almost terrified actually (1st day at college tomorrow) beau picks up on this and tries to take over, so i have the time between now and getting home to get myself under control  ::)

beau is sorta like your meg except not exactly stressed at everything more highly strung, does that make sense? just kinda up and jumpy all the time reminds me of my aunt she can’t ever sit still  he’s a bit like that.

Mudgie

Kerry chill  ;D

at least you can get logged on to do the course  >:(

Weekend will be fine  😉  Nooch will look after you  :-*  We will take them big walk tonight and first thing tomorrow morning before we start the training  :-*

I am looking forward to a weekend completely focussed on pooch  ;D

wags

awww dont do this to me  :'(

Mudgie

you could have done this – you can still do this – you know you can  ;D  if you really want to you know you can  :-*

Anonymous

have u and matt split up ?????  🙁

Sweetypye

Have you read the book Feal the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers?

Mudgie

Will look out for that book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime