Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Suggestions anyone???

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Suggestions anyone???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    -Alison-

Ok, I could really do with some suggestions for getting Holley moving. She is getting fat and out of condition  >:D but the trouble is she is such a lazy dog I cant seem to get her going. She wont swim, she wont play with the boys much, she wont chase a ball and will only do things if it involves treats. When we go for a walk it seems that now she has learnt that ‘by my side is the place to be’ that is exactly where she intends to stay. I have had the vets check her over from top to bottom and shes even had a thyroid blood test to see if thats why she is like she is, but there seems to be no medical reason for it; its just Holley. She is slightly more lively now I give her sardines or mackeral on a regualr basis (Bevs suggestion) but Im getting worried as she is getting more and more out of condition and her weight is now up to 26kg, which is what it was when we first got her.

How do you get a dog that wont run around to lose weight? I take her for an extra walk 2-3 times a week, where by its just me and her, brisk pavement walking sometimes if the weather is good for a couple of hours at a stretch, her food is cut right down but I dont have any more ideas over what to try :'( :'( :'( I really dont like seeing her look like this and I HATE seeing overweight dogs, yet I have one  :'( :'( :'(

xtine

what do you feed her? is there anything you can do there to cut down?

-Alison-

at the moment mine are mainly on kibble. Holley only has 180g a day now

*oops – corrected this just in time, I put 180kg to begin with. D’oh  ::)

Anonymous

Hi,

which kibble ?

how about trying her on something to inject some zip into her ?

you need to teach a “goplay” cue to release her from walking at your side 🙂 

lastly – if its as hot here with you then pre 6am or post 11pm walks might help !!

Claire x

*Lassie*

Will she search for things?
    Free shaping different tricks?
    HTM?

wags

when the light is a bit kakky Meg refuses to leave my side – thats when i get the bike out

we were doing 3 laps of the park (in the dark – with lights on) every night – so really she never left my side she just had to keep up with me

the others really enjoyed it as well

-Alison-

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12088.msg232648#msg232648 date=1217158371]
    Hi,
    which kibble ?
    [/quote]
    Mine are on autarky

how about trying her on something to inject some zip into her ?
    [/quote]
    Bev suggested giving her sardines or mackeral a few times a week ie brainfood, get her brain working and get her active that way but so far I havent noticed any real difference with her, I just cant seem to get her interested in anything  🙁 Is there anything else that would be good to try her on??? Would love to see Holley with a bit of get up and go  ;D

you need to teach a “goplay” cue to release her from walking at your side 🙂 
    [/quote]

they have a goplay cue already in place Claire and yes she will happily wander away from me when given the cue but play??? Do anything energetic??? Nope! No way, shes not interested!

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12088.msg232656#msg232656 date=1217160662]
    Will she search for things?
    Free shaping different tricks?
    HTM?
    [/quote]
    Lassie, if it involves any effort what so ever shes just not interested. I cant even get her to fish a treat out of a box  :-\ and shes not interested in the slightest in toys of any description

[quote author=wags link=topic=12088.msg232661#msg232661 date=1217163073]
    when the light is a bit kakky Meg refuses to leave my side – thats when i get the bike out 
    [/quote]
    Wags, I need a bike!!! lol.

Forgot to say Claire, I do do alot of late walks with them through the hot weather, sadly early mornings are out atm cos of Aeryn and her unreliable sleeping habits. Its embaressing, when I meet and talk to people they all look at Holley stood there beside me and ask how old is she??? And they are always surprised to find out that shes only 5 :-[ :-[

-Alison-

ps, only have intermittent access to the internet atm, our own computer has died and this is my middle daughters one which only seems to stay on line for short bursts before the modem shuts down  ::)

wags

ive got an idea

i’ll lend you Meg – and you can see if you can get a bit of weight on her (or Oban)
    and i’ll have Hollie – and i’ll see if i can get a bit of weight off her

DEAL ?

*Lassie*

and will only do things if it involves treats

tiny pieces of her favourite treats scattered around or scatter her dinner around the garden so if she wants to eat she has to find it >:D

Anonymous

Do you feed twice a day or once?

-Alison-

[quote author=wags link=topic=12088.msg233190#msg233190 date=1217359336]
    ive got an idea

i’ll lend you Meg – and you can see if you can get a bit of weight on her (or Oban)
    and i’ll have Hollie – and i’ll see if i can get a bit of weight off her

DEAL ?
    [/quote]

Wags you got a DEAL!!! Off to see if I can find a jiffy bag big enough for my fat lardy bloater  :-*

Lassie, good idea but cant do that just yet cos the garden is currently being converted to be more ‘dog friendly’ hopefully be finished in the next 6 wks tho  ::)

Val, I feed them once a day but at various different times. Dont have a set meal time for them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime