Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

sunshine and dogs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

Sun and Heat Exposure:

* The sun’s rays are most intense between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., so when possible, plan walks and outings earlier or later.

* Dogs can get sunburn, which can lead to discomfort, skin damage and even skin cancer. Vets advise applying sun block to sun-sensitive areas such as nose and ears, particularly during the high-sun times of the day and for pets with short fur and fair skin. To be effective, sun block should be at least SPF 15, plus should be applied more than 15 minutes before sun exposure.

* Avoid over-exertion in hot weather. Seek out shaded places to exercise and avoid exercise when it is really hot. If your dog shows fatigue, take him home or to a cool, shaded area without delay.

* Avoid hot asphalt and other surfaces that can burn your dog’s foot-pads. Dogs perspire through their feet; so long periods on hot pavement reduce their ability to cool themselves.

* Do not leave dogs out in the sun for long periods, even in a safe garden or exercise yard; whenever the dog is outside fresh water and shade is required.

* The heat tends to affect elderly, overweight and larger dogs more quickly.

* Dogs should not be left alone in cars in warm or hot weather. On a balmy day, the temperature inside a car can reach a lethal 107 degrees. Even with the windows rolled down, the car will heat up.  There are fans etc now on the market which plug in to the cigarette lighter socket – don’t be deceived – they only move the hot air around.

*When going on a long journey in hot weather; especially if motorway travel is involved, take plenty of water and some ice in a cooler bag – you might get stuck in a traffic jam!

If anyone would like any posters to give out at dog clubs etc then request by email

copyright kizkiznobite@aol.com

That’s good Bev !!  😉

Anonymous

oh kiz i may hand this out to all the customers who want there dogs scalped in the summer!! they have no idea how hot there dogs can get!!!  🙁

Anonymous

I refuse to scalp dogs I try to educate if I get no luck with education they can take their dogs somewhere else 😉 dogs I groom are my advert
    Val

[quote author=Joly link=topic=3152.msg36471#msg36471 date=1146859924]
    oh kiz i may hand this out to all the customers who want there dogs scalped in the summer!! they have no idea how hot there dogs can get!!!  🙁
    [/quote]

Anonymous

oh yes same here – just wont do it!! we tell our owners the shortest we are prepared to do it – they dont like it well they wont come back!!!

Anonymous

That is really good Kiz only wish it was advertised on the radio and tele because I see soooo many young kids out in the summer hanging around the streets with their dogs in full sun beam with no water. Poor things :'( :'(

toppy

joly,
    i’ve noticed that if milly gets too hot she makes funny noises, this is the only time she does the noises is if shes hot like grunting noises! ive read the post that kiz has wrote (at top)
    although i do, do everything i can to keep her cool and not get over heated and she always has fresh cold water down, Just wondering if this is normal in these kinds of dogs….??

kizkiznobite

yep clumsey’s grunt when they hot – it is like the breath is being expelled with more force over the vocal chords than normal.

toppy

Clumseys……????????? :-[ :-\

kizkiznobite

the collective noun for a group of clumbers 😉

toppy

oh yea now its obvious doh!!!!

shhhhh hehe!!! ::) :-[ :-[

Anonymous

What is your girls affix does she have good wide nostrils?

toppy

hmmm, that to me? if it is, ermmmmmm they look normal to me!! hehe

(starting to think i should log off and start again today hehe)

Anonymous

Stay with me ;D sorry if I am blinding you with science,
    Affix is whats on her pedigree her KC name, her nostrils should be wide if you hold her up so she is level with your face, when she breath in do her nostils stay as they are or do they sort of suck in as she breaths in.
    Or does the sound come more from in her head when she is hot
    Thats a new one over the internet
    Val

toppy

ahh right!! hell she was like a nodding dog while i tried to check that one out! hehe

right  they stay as they are they don’t move at all, and the sound seems to come from like maybe the top of her nose or back of her throat!??!?!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime