Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

the best way to de-bone

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs the best way to de-bone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

what is the best way to de-bone a rabbit and chicken, as it takes me about 20 minuets to de-bone a chicken and 30 minuets to de-bone a rabbit

Whats it for?ย  Is your knife sharp enough for a start? Thats half the battle!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Hi,

if its for stan, you neednt debone them completely – just chop them into manageable chunks for him.ย  if you want to keep some breast meat for you from the chicken i would chop off head, do a neck piece for stan and chop the legs and wings so you have a “middle” left then slice off both breasts for you and unless you’re buying turkey sized chicken i would think he’d eat most of the rest OK?

if giblets are in a bag inside then obv. pull them out – if not you might want to seperate these from body before you give to stan as they good for treat making !

rabbit – top, tail and 1/4 for a dog stan size ?

Claire x

p.s. failing that – if you get from butchers – ask them to a) do it or b) show you … if you buying “direct” then a good person would also show u how to butcher i’d think.

Foxy i dont have a decent knife in my kitchen ๐Ÿ˜€ yet. im doing it with a pair of scissors.

claire – i dont ussually get a look in with the meat ๐Ÿ˜€ ussually i strip as much off as i can get and give that to him for dinner with maybe some veg and pasta/potatoe then he gets the bones with whatever meat i cant get off for breakfast.
    my butchers are very good and will debone if i asked them but i like getting my hands dirty and doing it all myself (plus i get it a bit cheaper if i do it myself ;D )

are rabbit bone ok? because they look so small and fragil even conpared to chicken bones

i think i need to get a better knife, my butcher did say he could get a proper deboning butchers knife for me so i might have to ask him ;D

Scissors?!!ย  ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Thud!ย  You need a decent knife no wonder its taking so long!ย  And i wouldn’t bother deboning a rabbit, life’s too short!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Get a sharp knife, a flexible one, then you let the knife do the work, keep the knife flat, run along the bone to kind of detach the bone everywhere except the joint, then use your knife to take the bone from the meat, not the other way round.ย  Use your fingers to feel every step, and practice makes perfect!ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

or you hack it up with the largest knife you can find and just feed it to stan in bitsย  ;D

i shall invest in a good knife in the new year ;D think stan can have the rabbit as it comes though ๐Ÿ˜€

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=13316.msg255746#msg255746 date=1230105301]
    or you hack it up with the largest knife you can find and just feed it to stan in bitsย  ;D
    [/quote]
    i like that idea but stan needs his veggies ๐Ÿ˜€

Mudgie

Follow the natural shape of the bones – use the bones to guide the knife – run the knife down breastbone – See it as different shapes – just follow the natural lines and it is easy peasy.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  Take the wings and legs off at the joints and take the knife down the breast bone follow knife through by keeping close to ribcage – before long it will take you couple of minutes.ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks i will give it a go once ive got a better knife ;D

thanks foxy that was realy interesting to watch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees โ€“ ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime