Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

The reason for the Ivermectin-sensitive Collie – A deadly gene defect

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Subjects to be kept The reason for the Ivermectin-sensitive Collie – A deadly gene defect

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

just thought i would add to this the stuff that i have recieved this morning: i know much this info was in the previous links but not all can get links to work and there are some slight changes/additions  🙂

It is now well known that collies and related breeds can have adverse reactions to drugs such as ivermectin, loperamide (imodium), and others – the problem is due to a mutation in the multi-drug resistance gene coded MDR1-  this gene encodes a protein called P-glycoprotein – this acts as a toxin releasing protein that removes many drugs and other toxins from the brain – the dogs that carry the MDR1 cannot get rid of thiese toxins and some drugs out of the brain as a dog not carrying the gene would – this results in illness requiring an extended hospital stay or even death.

it is now believed that approximately 3 of every 4 collies worldwide have the mutation – – the MDR1 mutation has also been found in setland sheepdogs (shelties) – australian shepherds, old english seepdogs, german shepherds, long-haired whippets, silken windhounds and dogs that have these breeds as crosses

Problem Drugs

There are  now many different types of drugs that have been reported to cause problems in collies, ranging from over-the-counter antidiarrheal agents like imodium to antiparasitic and chemotherapy agents. It is likely this list will grow to include more drugs as research progresses.

Drugs that we are now aware of that or are strongly suspected to cause problems in dogs with the  MDR1 mutation are:

Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent)
    Loperamide (Imodium®; over-the-counter antidiarrheal agent)
    Doxorubicin (anticancer agent)
    Vincristine (anticancer agent)
    Vinblastine (anticancer agent)
    Cyclosporin (immunosuppressive agent)
    Digoxin (heart drug)
    Acepromazine (tranquilizer)
    Butorphanol (pain control)
    Fentanyl (pain control)
    Meperidine (pain control)

Potential Problem Drugs

the following drugs may potentially cause problems when given to dogs that have the mutation – these are still being studied but the results coming in are alarming – in all we are expecting a final result of over 50 different drugs.

Ondansetron
    Domperidone
    Paclitaxel
    Mitoxantrone
    Etoposide
    Rifampicin
    Quinidine
    Morphine

Finwe

Thank you for posting this reply!

And there are some important news:
    LABOKLIN now offers the test for Great Britain. Please look here: http://www.collienet.com/health%20topics/MDR1%20Gene%20defect.htm

And there are news about this mutation from the USA. Please look here: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2006.00196.x

Affected dogs seem to have problems with stress.

Kind regards,
    Kris

Finwe

And more news:

As we were told, there are only the labs shown here http://www.mdr1-defekt.de/texte.php?lang=EN&ID=008 which are licensed to do the test.

Please keep in touch with our homepage, which will be updated nearly every week.

And just this week we welcomed our 500. dog!

Kind regards from Germany,
    Kris

Finwe

Well, there are news from the UK.

In Bristol there was a study, too. Results shall be published next year.

http://www.collienet.com/health%20topics/MDR1%20Gene%20defect.htm

So – if you took part, please don´t forget to send us the datas of your tested dogs:
    http://www.mdr1-defekt.de/index.php?lang=EN

Kind regards from Germany,
    Kris

dollybabe

I was contacted by some research place some months ago asking if they could do blood tests on my collies in relation to ivermectin, I think my vet put them on to me.

I was advised to avoid any products of the ‘mectin’ family, including Stronghold as it contains selamectin.

Finwe

So are your dogs tested? And if so, won´t you show them and their result on our homepage?

We already have the first dogs from Great Britain online. And it would be great to show more!

But as for the drugs – there are more dangers for an affected dog than drugs ending with “mectin”.
    Just last week the Collie of a friend of mine died during an anaethesia. He was affected by the defect and the vets heeded this. At first all went well, but then he just died…

So we learned this with tears in our eyes:
    Affected dogs have in general a high risk with nearly every drug. And to know about the defect won´t mean that your dog is safe…

Kind and sad regards,
    Kris

Anonymous

I am waiting the results, sorry to read about the collie
    Val

[quote author=Finwe link=topic=6437.msg190519#msg190519 date=1197409912]
    So are your dogs tested? And if so, won´t you show them and their result on our homepage?

We already have the first dogs from Great Britain online. And it would be great to show more!

But as for the drugs – there are more dangers for an affected dog than drugs ending with “mectin”.
    Just last week the Collie of a friend of mine died during an anaethesia. He was affected by the defect and the vets heeded this. At first all went well, but then he just died…

So we learned this with tears in our eyes:
    Affected dogs have in general a high risk with nearly every drug. And to know about the defect won´t mean that your dog is safe…

Kind and sad regards,
    Kris
    [/quote]

i am sending off a sample in the new year for testing, shall see what the results are.

Finwe

Hello again!

Well, some time has gone by. In the meantime we had a lecture over here in Germany with Prof. Dr. Geyer from the University of Gießen.
    As he told there still is a big problem with dogs poisened with Ivermectin. He showed sad pictures from dogs struggling for their lives because of being poisened with this drug. Therefore they are now going to find an antidot for Ivermectin.
    He also told about a disturbed Cortisol balance. This may have bad effects when an affected dogs has to be put under anaesthetic. And they think that there is a connection with the defect and Colitis (an intestinal disease).
    As far as I know there just is a study in France with Shelties, where there is asked for intestinal diseases within affected dogs.
    And in Gießen they are just testing Belgian Shepherds, Barsois, Kelpies, Greyhounds, Irish Wolfhounds and Australian Cattle Dogs.

So this gene defect more and more proves a very serious one which affects more and more breeds.

Therefore – please keep on informing your vets and testing your dogs! Ask breeders to start to breed it out!

Kind regards,
    Kris
    http://www.mdr1-defekt.de

Anonymous

Hallo again my two Bearded Collies came back clear so I was pleased as I have had their breeding for three generations
    Val

Anonymous

All my BC’s came back normal for all their DNA tests( except one who is a CEA Carrier)had spent a small fortune having every DNA test done on all three of mine & the sister of Wukee, but nice to know they are all “normal”genetically !

Anonymous

yay dyane and her “normal” bc’s !!

(there is something quite odd about referring to a BC as “normal” for me !!)

Anonymous

[quote author=piglet link=topic=6437.msg223419#msg223419 date=1213433044]
    yay dyane and her “normal” bc’s !!

(there is something quite odd about referring to a BC as “normal” for me !!)
    [/quote]

LOLOLOLOL that is the only bit of them that is normal !!!!

Anonymous

Thats good news normal BC that doesn’t sound right
    Hows Wukkee haven’t seen any pics for awhile
    Val
    [quote author=Dyane Jones link=topic=6437.msg223414#msg223414 date=1213429839]
    All my BC’s came back normal for all their DNA tests( except one who is a CEA Carrier)had spent a small fortune having every DNA test done on all three of mine & the sister of Wukee, but nice to know they are all “normal”genetically !
    [/quote]

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime