toxic product warning

Home Main Forums Dogs Health toxic product warning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #62699
    kendal
    Member

    took this off another forum, thaught you would be interested. but dont know if this is where i should have posted it.

    This was sent to me by German Shepherd Rescue

    This message has been sent in by one of our members and originates  from Ali Taylor, Head of Welfare, Battersea Dogs Home.

    Quote:
    Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

    Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased ‘Cocoa Mulch’ from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.

    Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that ‘It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.’

    Also included was the following information –

    Quote:
    Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die.

    Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

    Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

    PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!

    #85495
    *Nat*
    Member

    Have heard about this stuff before, not nice, thanks for posting!

    #85496
    vinya12
    Member

    Have past it on .

    #85497
    kendal
    Member

    i must admit that the fact that it has ‘cocoa’ in the title would put me off as i would assume it has cocoa in it which we know is bad for dogs.

    but they should still say on the box that it is harmful to dogs.

    #85498
    Anonymous
    Guest

    There’s an old thread here
    https://www.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7680.msg136288.html#msg136288

    that are worth reading occassionally as a reminder of all the things that are toxic to dogs and it includes the mulch.  :-\

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!