Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Travis just back home from the vet

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Travis just back home from the vet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    travis

What a day :(Got up at 6.10am this morning,first job is to always leave the dog’s into the garden for about 15 min’s.Got them back in at 6.30,as Travis came in I could see a huge swelling starting from under his eye’s right down to his nose,I remembed the pic’s of Minpins baby from a few week’s ago so straight away gave him 4 antihistamines,he wouldn’t leave me touch it 🙁 ,by lunchtime he was no better so I gave him another 2 antihistamines,by 2.30 it was starting to get covered in blood blister’s he must of been so uncomfortable he was rubbing his face everywhere,my trouser’s looked like I had committed a murder,I checked on here but Val and Kiz weren’t online to give me advice,so off to the vet’s we go,they seemed to think maybe a hedgehog because of the bloodblister’s,but I know for a fact if it had been a hedghog Ruby would of had it cornered and not left it go(which she has done on many occaisions).The vet’s have given him Prednisolone 5mg he had to have 2 before he left the vet’s I have to give him 2 more in the morning another 2 in the evening and then 1 twice a day for another 3 day’s,they have also given him Cephalexin 500mg 1 tab twice a day,his face look’s huge and really painful for him,he’s having trouble eating so I have just purreed some chicken porridge which he has managed a small amount,I have to take him back tonight if I can see it getting any worse .I have to take him back to the vet’s on Wednesday.Paul has just been out to check the garden and the only thing he has found is a dead frog or toad not sure what it is but it was the size of Paul’s hand.Never seen my boy looking so sorry for himself,the 2 of them cuddled together sleeping at the moment 🙂

Izzie

Poor Travis, can you get a pic for Val and Bev to look at hon?

Hope he back to normal soon
    xx

Anonymous

Aw poor Travis :-* :-* :-*

Kodi sends him xxxxxxxx and hopes he feels better soon
    are toads poisonous to dogs? maybe he rubbed himself on it as it  was dead, cos they like rolling on dead things dont they, just a thought :-\

Poor travis, sounds nasty!  :-*

travis

Can’t find the camera lead for the PC since we moved house Izzie.

Paul think’s maybe he rubbed himself on the toad as well sue

Lisa33

Oh poor Travis!!  Could it not have been a sting?

travis

He’s got about 10 blood blister’s which are bursting and then refilling all over the swelling

Anonymous

Poor Travis sorry I was not around it sound like it’s the toad.
    Common toads secrete an irritant substance from their skin it’s their defence against preditors.
    Little known fact is hedgehogs chew toad skins to extract venom from the paratoid glands. They then lick their spines with the saliva-venom mixture. Experiments with human volunteers prove that the venomanointed spines are much more painful and irritating than clean ones.
    Val

travis

Thanks Val,just checked on him,no more swelling and the blister’s haven’t refilled,they just look like hairless red flesh 🙁

Anonymous

Oh give him a hug from me and tell him to stop playing with Toads :agree:

[quote author=travis link=topic=12524.msg242121#msg242121 date=1222111461]
    Thanks Val,just checked on him,no more swelling and the blister’s haven’t refilled,they just look like hairless red flesh 🙁
    [/quote]

oh ouch poor Trav- that sounds really nasty! give him a hug from me too – i do hope he feels better soon! xx  :-*

travis

Is there anything I should watch out for with the steroid’s.
    Thank’s everyone for all the lovely get well wish’s 🙂

Anonymous

Not really don’t just stop them thats not good reduce the dose as the vet must of told you, he’s a healthy lad just picked the wrong playmate  ;D

[quote author=travis link=topic=12524.msg242126#msg242126 date=1222112100]
    Is there anything I should watch out for with the steroid’s.
    Thank’s everyone for all the lovely get well wish’s 🙂
    [/quote]

oh bless poor travis, hope it goes down soon and he’s feeling better, beau picked up a small toad in his mouth as a pup he was foaming and frothing for about 30 minutes after, i spat it out as soon as he picked it up.

xtine

ouch bl**dy hell.. poor lad that sounds awful  😮 hope he heals quick poor boy  :-*  :-* must have been a scary time for you Mel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime