Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Treats for Puppies!!??

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Treats for Puppies!!??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ok thanks for the info everyone… I can guarantee that there’s absolutely no way I can find yet more time in my week to faff with making her food!

I will definitely be looking at other “off the shelf” foods though!! I’m seriously annoyed that my bl**dy sister is a VET and she hasn’t mentioned food to me!!! ARGH!  >:(

I’m going to have a right old moan at her this afternoon when I take Izzy in for her final vaccination! (free vaccination btw – She may be uninformative about food but she has her good uses as well!!!)  😉

PS – Izzie, weren’t you meant to be going to bed??

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12067.msg231995#msg231995 date=1216807541]
    yep – just hit a nerve as i am getting a bit sick of feeling like i’m not good enough because i want to put my dogs back on dry complete.   >:D
    [/quote]

so you saying i’m not good enough either? since i feed dry complete? :-\ feel like that all the time… if there was a medal in f-ing things up it would be mine.

Anonymous

Iz – its in another thread 🙁

GSP – who do you think you are swooping down and stealing all my self-pity darn it !!  :-*  :-*

claire x

Izzie

just found it Claire- will have a look. 🙂

Noone said that because you feed or are thinking of feeding dried that you arent good enough, I am sure that I didnt say that or imply it.

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12067.msg232002#msg232002 date=1216808360]
    GSP – who do you think you are swooping down and stealing all my self-pity darn it !!  :-*   :-*

claire x
    [/quote]

;D

sorry – am having a c**p few weeks and am the meister of self pity.  😉

:-*

Anonymous

dont think anyone said / implied it – me and Terry (yay remembered) seem to be forming self-pity anonymous 🙁

Anonymous

HAHAHA Sorry, this is a slightly off topic post:

Izzy has just discovered that she can strach herself in two places at once using two different paws… It’s hillarious…  ;D

Oh and now she’s also realised that she can carry her “comfort blanket” aka one of my old size 12 boots. She’s just repositioned it in her bed and now asleep again… with her nose in it… Aww she’s so cute!!  🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=Crafty1980 link=topic=12067.msg231999#msg231999 date=1216808031]
    Ok thanks for the info everyone… I can guarantee that there’s absolutely no way I can find yet more time in my week to faff with making her food!

I will definitely be looking at other “off the shelf” foods though!! I’m seriously annoyed that my bl**dy sister is a VET and she hasn’t mentioned food to me!!! ARGH!  >:(

I’m going to have a right old moan at her this afternoon when I take Izzy in for her final vaccination! (free vaccination btw – She may be uninformative about food but she has her good uses as well!!!)  😉

PS – Izzie, weren’t you meant to be going to bed??
    [/quote]

fair enough – that’s my problem with feeding home prepared – don’t even cook for myself – hence the dried (and even so am sure they get a better diet than me  😉 ).

but have a bit more of a look into the commercial foods.  🙂 there are also wet commercial foods that some people on here use – naturediet, nature’s harvest etc – that i don’t know much about but are meant to be good quality – and get more fluid in than dried.

oh and commercial treat wise – i have been buying stuff like the wainwrights liver & chicken treats from p@h – no additives.  😉 cost a fortune – but my attempt at home cooked dried liver went mouldy so…..

if that helps?  🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12067.msg232013#msg232013 date=1216809193]
    oh and commercial treat wise – i have been buying stuff like the wainwrights liver & chicken treats from p@h – no additives.  😉 cost a fortune – but my attempt at home cooked dried liver went mouldy so…..

if that helps?  🙂
    [/quote]

Yeah that’s great thanks very much! I must admit, the girls at my local P@H have been really helpful to me these past couple of weeks! My original thought would be simply “just another chain store… nothing special” but they really seem to know their stuff!

Izzie

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12067.msg232011#msg232011 date=1216809026]
    dont think anyone said / implied it – me and Terry (yay remembered) seem to be forming self-pity anonymous 🙁
    [/quote]

((HUGS)) Claire and Terry  :-*

wags

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=12067.msg232006#msg232006 date=1216808709]

Noone said that because you feed or are thinking of feeding dried that you arent good enough, I am sure that I didnt say that or imply it.

[/quote]

you are very much meant to feel like it on this board though a lot of the time

hey hoe

my dogs are fed a total mix of everything – bit of CSJ, some home cooked, some raw – or if i forget dog food at shows (which is quite often) what ever i can lay my hands on
    they get a lot of raw bones – they also get raw hide stick things
    treats wise – they get lots of p@h mini bones, and bic bones as well as s*it loads of liver cake type stuff (seen as ive just made 1 massive batch of liver cake, chicken cake and cheese cake – not as nice as it sounds) – we go through a lot of training treats  ::)

[quote author=Crafty1980 link=topic=12067.msg232014#msg232014 date=1216809574]
    [quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12067.msg232013#msg232013 date=1216809193]

if that helps?  🙂

[/quote]

Yeah that’s great thanks very much! I must admit, the girls at my local P@H have been really helpful to me these past couple of weeks! My original thought would be simply “just another chain store… nothing special” but they really seem to know their stuff!
    [/quote]

im sorry but this made me laugh so much

i used to work at P@H and i stomped out in major big time style  >:D

Anonymous

[quote author=wags link=topic=12067.msg232023#msg232023 date=1216812371]
    im sorry but this made me laugh so much

i used to work at P@H and i stomped out in major big time style  >:D
    [/quote]

Well good for you… Clearly nothing in this world is good enough for any dog or newbie owner! To be honest, I don’t care about corporate branding, organic fat free post modernist arty farty homecooked whatever blah blah blah, or anything else… If I get a good vibe from something or somewhere then I’ll act on whatever they tell me because, quite frankly, I haven’t got a clue… and I’m very sorry I don’t have a clue… Maybe I was naieve to think that I should have spent months and months researching before I got a dog… Or maybe I should just continue to take the approach that she is simply A DOG… and that love and affection along with decent food and play and she’ll do exactly what dogs are meant to do…

I will stop using hills, I will change to another apparently “better” brand of commercial food, She might get a bone every now and then from the butchers, I will continue to visit P@H and probably end up spending a shed load of cash there as well…

Sorry about the rant and tahnkyou for the different aspects discussed on this post, it’s just I feel like I’m now in a dictatorship “she must eat this not that etc”

At the end of the day, she is still on the original food she came with which is horrible canned stuff. I’m slowly weening her off that onto other food…

GSPmad

[quote author=Crafty1980 link=topic=12067.msg232031#msg232031 date=1216813474]
    Sorry about the rant and tahnkyou for the different aspects discussed on this post, it’s just I feel like I’m now in a dictatorship “she must eat this not that etc”
    [/quote]

I thought you were only getting advice…  :-\ certainly all i was giving…  ??? help to research, explore all the options and decide what you think is best for your dog.

at the end of the day she’s your dog, and no-one else can tell you what you can or cannot feed her etc… even your sister the vet.  😉

Anonymous

No it’s alright GSP, you were one person that I felt gave good advice! 🙂

Hi there and welcome  ;D  I have been on here for about seven months since I brought home my little rescue terrier.  I am a first time dog owner so I know all about the learning curve and did start to feel like the months of reading I did were going to prepare me.  Don’t be put off by everyones questions, we all love dogs and would love to see more photos of little Izzy, she looks darling. 

Dog Board is a really good resource and you can treat it as that, you will get advice from breeders, trainers, behaviourists, groomers and people who love dogs.  At first it might feel that there is a lot to pick through as everyone has different views and you will find a lot of experience. 

The starting point here seems to be almost always food, all I can say is that getting Izzy off the horrible canned stuff is a good start and she will be getting used to the dried food.  I now feed Toby a commercial food called Burns [is one of the better commercial foods llike James Wellbeloved] because my partner isn’t keen on the idea of natural/raw and to be honest I too feel I do not have the time I would like to give to it.  Just making this change from the tinned food he had at the kennel and the Bakers Complete he had in his first weeks with us saw a real change in his behaviour.  Like with us humans, if what you put in is healthy what you get out is healthy and a healthy dog in our case was a happier dog that now loves his food and without all the additives he is much less scatty and overexcitable.

Do keep up with it, and we need more pictures please!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime