Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Tuesday’s required viewing

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Tuesday’s required viewing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

or … come to that – how about looking into putting it on tesco clubcard deals ?

there arent ANY dog mags on there at all

claire x

wags

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12233.msg236464#msg236464 date=1218811658]
    i waited 3 years for my polly and mary has waited….lord knows but a long time and is now getting fudge …but i understand where you at claire…it not so much the want it now as the no thought see an add in paper go get brigade that i find worse
    [/quote]

i supose you can lump me into that brigade as well then

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12233.msg237232#msg237232 date=1219227149]
    hi,

i just wanted to say i watched as much as i could bare before it became too distressing to watch.

got very excited when u were on it – didnt realise that !! 

here’s my bit – blunt and to the point as ever.

to the people who had the 2 cav’s who said “we had no idea about syringmyleia (u know what i mean)”

DO YOUR BL**DY RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING A DOG

it was sickening to watch them parade around a very sick dog which should have been PUT DOWN not subjected to more treatment 🙁

to the people going “good boy thas a good dog ” STOP LEAPING ALL OVER YOUR DOG WHEN ITS FITTING – if you are feeding it that many medications and its still fitting that bad PUT IT DOWN.

if people did their research instead of going on national TV looking like complete goons they wouldnt have to spend whatever stupid amount of money that woman said she’d spent !!!

overall i think the blog is a good idea and tho i still havent had time to do my review – the actual content of the mag is also good, if you were brave enough to ditch the “un credible” adverts i’d probably buy it.

claire.
    [/quote]

Completely agree!  🙂

Bevers2406

Sorry – couple of things.

The dogs shown fitting, screaming etc  where filmed at home by the owners not the film crew. There wish is that their dogs suffering being seen may help prevent others in the future suffering.

The drugs mean the Boxer is fit-free most of the time – be he has a cluster of fits ever two months or so where he can have quite a lot – 17 being the record in one day. He is only two. It is the owners decision whether to proceed, but people with epilepsy would argue that even uncontrollable epilepsy is better than being dead, so I guess it has to be the owners call. they restrain him to stop him hurting himself as the house is quite small and he is at risk if not restrained.

SM was an emerging problem seldom mentioned when Carol bought her first Cavalier and when she bought her second she did her very best to avoid affected dogs – but as we know now that up to 1/3 of Cavs have this problem she was unlucky again.

Carol now won’t risk getting another, it is a very sad situation as the breed is just so gentle despite their suffering.

Behaviour guru Dr Ian Dunbar just came up with a blinding obvious suggestion thatt I think sounds a winner.

.Only breed your dog to an unrelated stud dog who is more than 7 years old and healthy!

As he says:

“Longevity is simply the very best overall indicator of health, fit genes and good behavior and temperament.”

If I dare say it on here without rebuke  😉 –  check out my blog for a bit more on that and a link to Ian’s blog and his article, but it seems so logical!

http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/

Prem2Pram

Why not just put a link to your blog in your signature (that’s what most of us do) that way it will be at the bottom of every post you make and those interested will click on it.

**Woofums**

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=12233.msg237353#msg237353 date=1219310015]

Behaviour guru Dr Ian Dunbar just came up with a blinding obvious suggestion thatt I think sounds a winner.

.Only breed your dog to an unrelated stud dog who is more than 7 years old and healthy!

As he says:

“Longevity is simply the very best overall indicator of health, fit genes and good behavior and temperament.”

If I dare say it on here without rebuke  😉 –  check out my blog for a bit more on that and a link to Ian’s blog and his article, but it seems so logical!

http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/

[/quote]

A great idea in theory, but wouldn’t it mean the end of the line for some breeds.?
    The Pug for instance, if its Gene pool is as small as the documentary stated.

Also the statement 
    “Longevity is simply the very best overall indicator of health, fit genes and good behavior and temperament” 
    agreed but also it’s a great reflection of modern day veterinary methods.

Do we interfere too much ?
    Should some breeds be allowed to die out naturally (Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, Natural Selection) or evolve without intervention ?

As you all know I own two K.C registered Dogs…but they are not elegible to enter a K.C show  ???
    Both fit, healthy & sound of temperament.
    Their cow hocked, hinged back relations are favoured in the show ring….which Dogs will have (God Willing) the longer, pain free, life I wonder  ::).

Mudgie

Sorry but this was dreadfully upsetting – my anger towards the owners was fierce

If that dog was my Nacho then I would not be putting him through that.
    And the cavaliers owner should be pts for allowing her dog to be so ill like that. 

Nacho too is KC registered with good lineage – he too does not meet breed standard
    ::)

so what can we do  ???  is there anything we can do  ???

How does Jo Public know where to research, know what is good and what is bad when senior employees of the KC publically announce that they dont have a problem inbreeding if it skips a generation  >:(  but finds it abhorent to suggest fathering a child with his grandaughter

A lot of this stuff is common sense why do they not get it? 

Cant get the images of those poorly dogs out of my head – will be vivid for a long time and if that means that the people in power do something to stop the suffering then that has to be a good thing but these owners need to take responsibility for the dogs wellbeing  >:(

Bevers2406

The Cav in the film was put to sleep on that day, the owner recorded those moments on her phone.

Sm is just horrible, the decision as to when you end the suffering is hard one to take – one moment they can be fine and then suddenly they start screaming. It’s a gradual progression, too many people have emailed with dogs they now think are symptomatic after seeing this film. Do you pts on diagnosis? Ugh.

I had never seen a dog at the end of SM before viewing that film and I presume it was a first for most. It couldn’t have imagined it without the image, though and that’s the same for all those other conditions we read about but don’t actually see. The dog scratching with early SM was distressing but you couldn’t sense the pain. We all needed to know the consequence of inbreeding and the fate that could be in store for all breeds if someone doesn’t do something.
    Pressure is needed to make sure the government of dogs changes things – the KC needs to act and not just do something to make it look like its doing something – really mean it and change things.

We’ll be doing a petition as soon as the PM comes back from his hols, but good breeders need to urge the KC to be brave and get some balls. If they don’t outside Government will step in and it’ll be messy as they’ll not have the subtlety, it’ll be Convention of Europe Pet Animal Rights time which really will have the show world up in arms.

Just wish the good breeders would stop feeling so picked on and realise it’s the mediocre majority that needs to be improved and the only way to do that is with compulsion.
    Not sure If I’ve already said this here – apologies I have repeated myself so much in the last few hours on various sites answering questions.

Last year the Kc registered 45k Labradors. You and I know that you’d be nuts to buy a Lab that wasn’t hip scored. Yet in the 30 years that the hip scoring scheme has been going a pathetic 60,000 Labradors only have EVER been hip scored.

Without compulsion the majority of mediocre breeders will do the minimum. To get to the majority of dogs bred tested, testing has to be a condition of registration and that means th KC has to start getting tough. We’d all still register our dogs if they said we had to test – who is going to moan? They say they fear breeder defection to other registries. Great! Good breeders with the KC – rubbish ones with a rubbish registry. Use some of the millions in the bank from Crufts and pet insurance sale to advertise why KC reg is the mark of quality the public used think it was and ta-da – it’s suddenly easier for the public to buy a healthy dog.

Cheers
    Beverley

http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/ and what a good idea – will stick it in my signature when I get a mo!

Prem2Pram

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=12233.msg237360#msg237360 date=1219317385]

Just wish the good breeders would stop feeling so picked on and realise it’s the mediocre majority that needs to be improved and the only way to do that is with compulsion.
    Not sure If I’ve already said this here – apologies I have repeated myself so much in the last few hours on various sites answering questions.

[/quote]

Happen if good breeders were given the same media exposure as the mediocre breeders  / Puppy farmers / backyard breedeers then they wouldn’t feel picked on.

I would point out that health testing schemes are given official Kennel Club recognition only where the breed clubs have asked for this and where it is possible for the Kennel Club to verify independently the results.

Mudgie

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=12233.msg237360#msg237360 date=1219317385]
    [/quote]

I bet you some of the “good” breeders think they are good – certainly from the exposure given then KC is a big sham when it comes to piece of mind that if you have a kc registered dog you are getting quality. 

I hope everyone on the programme who gave a personal opinion whether it be as a KC representative or not is held accountable for their comments and their actions and the distress caused to their dogs.  >:(

Mudgie

In fact I dont care if anyone feels picked – all I care about is people doing what is the right thing to maintain decent quality of dogs who do all they can in their power to lessen if not eradicate the health risks to these poor dogs who are suffering.  >:(  More exposure like this is the way forward not petitions – people need to be accountable – breeders need to be accountable – kc regulations need to be accountable.  >:(

Prem2Pram

Mudgie how is the general public going to know about the efforts of the good breeders.

How they health test all their stock, how they DNA profile all their stock et etc

If these good breeders do not get any media space then the general public will never know such breeders even exisit.

Mudgie

I appreciate that but last night was about what was wrong with the process not what is right. 

Yes there has to be a balance seen – but surely it is more important to sort out the tragedy that is producing these poorly dogs  :-\  It should be about prevention rather than cure. 

By all means the good breeders should get their say but that wont stop the atrocities that are happening by the others.  They need to be put out of business, there needs to be changed made that will be enforced.  This is tantamount to cruelty to animals. Deliberately breeding dogs with health risks that can get passed on should be criminal.

Prem2Pram

Mudgie I appreciate what you are saying, however if the show had show cassed just a couple of good breeders and shown the general public that good breeders do health tested and then if they had shown a good health test and a poor health test for comparision at least then the general public would know what questions to ask a breeder and what they were looking for when they saw a test result.

kizkiznobite

to me the obvious thing would be for the KC needs to do a response programme…with caring breeders…they need to do some damage limitation…that needs to go further than a statement on their site

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime