Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Turkey Skins

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Turkey Skins

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Izzie

Have been googling and researching for the last 5 hours trying to find the reason why, but does anyone know why Turkey skins are bad for dogs?  :-\

Did we not cover this on here? i know bevs posted about it being bad not sure if she posted why though?

Val

One of the reasons for not feeding turkey skin is that it’s very fatty which can lead to gastric problems Pancreatitis being a serious inflammatory condition of the pancreas that causes vomiting and dehydration.
    Another is it’s a very tough skin and given to dogs as a skin it can get caught on the way down bigger dogs can cope with eating large long skins far better than your average size dog but on the Pancreatitis front it’s not good.
    Also, depending on the way it was raised, the skin often contains more hormones and fat since that’s where manufacturers inject to “plump” up the bird. :ok:
    Val

Izzie

There were posts about not giving it to dogs, but not why  :-\

thanks Val- how much skin would cause pancreatitis?

Val

That would depend on the tolerance the dog has some dogs can cope with high fats but for most it’s not good for them
    Val

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=14862.msg273325#msg273325 date=1256990736]

thanks Val- how much skin would cause pancreatitis?
    [/quote]

Diesel73
    quote :

Also, depending on the way it was raised, the skin often contains more hormones and fat since that’s where manufacturers inject to “plump” up the bird.

Mine are ‘on hold’. Half of them were suppost to hit the freezer today  :canadian: …… good enough meat, fantastic size, but are yet too skinny  ::) .

(Izz, the average birds that are sold get’s… we call it ‘babyflower’…, stuffed down his throat with all sorts of meds, fat and growingaccelerators mixed in it. And again a few weeks befor their head comes off  (without the meds but with extra fat).)

Izzie

right, thanks D and Val Its just someone on a springer forum said I was talking out of my  :butt:  ::)

Knew there was a reason why, just couldnt find that reason

Val

Don’t worry we will let you know if you do that LOL  :crazy:

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=14862.msg273330#msg273330 date=1257000587]
    right, thanks D and Val Its just someone on a springer forum said I was talking out of my  :butt:  ::)

Knew there was a reason why, just couldnt find that reason

[/quote]

Izzie

;D ;D ;D

Sweetypye

Anything fed to excess is “bad” for dogs. I always ask people if they understand the amount of fat that is contained in a turkey skin and how much their dog consumes and how frequently.

I then ask them how much fat is in other foods they feed and how much their dog consumes and how frequently.

Do you know, it has turned out so far that all dogs without exception have, it appears from questioning their owners, consume a great deal more fat than they realised and all, without exception came from meats and skins and other sources rather than turkey?

This is the danger when people try and demonise a particular food or source of food, they throw out all logic.

FWIW I feed my dogs turkey legs once a week with no issues and have done so for 8 years.

They also get suet in the winter when they are working hard as of course dogs energy is provided by fat rather than carbs……….

ps chickens are also inoculated in the same places turkeys are, as are ducks, and all other domestic fowl………………..

Izzie

I understand where you are coming from SP, am not trying to demonise any foods at all- just get a better understanding

Diesel73
    quote :

ps chickens are also inoculated in the same places turkeys are, as are ducks, and all other domestic fowl………………..

Try bio-breeders for a change.
    We are not completely ‘free of sins’, this i confess cause sometimes there just is no other way and we need to give nature some help, but we come no where near ‘industrial poultry’ and we do not use hormone, metal or any heavy chemicalle.
    Our birds are more expensive, this is true, but once you taste true free-range bio bird you’ll never look back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime