Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

untrained owners

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion untrained owners

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

yeah – max didnt greet nice so the bitch told him … and the owner was pissed at his dog because in his eyes “she was aggressive” i expect …

i still dont quite understand why you let him off lead – i am probably being thick but you said if he was off he wouldnt obey you so why let him off ?  dogs / other people irrelevent

deebee

claire,  i saw them before he did. had him on long line but short. he spotted and grew an inch but knew was on line. didnt ‘go’. other dogs saw, 2 came running up, one came to greet nice collie turned away but didnt go back to owners.  dog that greeted was nice about it, they said they friendly do worry, i let him off to interact unrestricted. i chose the moment to recall that i felt he would react, he did.

he didnt do anything for the man to shout at him. he shouted at his collie. max was rude and she told him off. he shouted at her for that. he didnt scream at her , more a DONTdo that. then put her on lead.

nick, yes i read the dogs body language as ‘oohh look another one of us to say hello to’. owners reaction was to their dog grumping at max, who deserved it. they cant work it out if they then stop their dog from doing their thing.

gspmad, im enough to confuse anyone lol.

GSPmad

I can confuse myself without any outside assistance at all.  ;D ;D ;D

*Nick*

Ok, so the last 2 pages of posts are responding to something that never happened. Other owner yelled at their dog, not yours.  Max didn’t get stroppy other dog did.

So, in that case, what the hell is the problem?  :confused:

and what did Max do that was so rude?

deebee

nick, i could kiss you!!!
    max was rude as in he didnt greet nice once off lead. he pushed doggy etiquette as he didnt learn it when younger. collie told him off, owner told her off for doing so.

he is a big 9 month labrador and didnt get the chance to learn dog greet/play rules. he has to learn now under my control, not on a rampage off lead and pray to god. that is what i have been trying to do. a dearth of dogs in right situation around here doesnt help.

*Nick*
    quote :

max was rude as in he didnt greet nice once off lead. he pushed doggy etiquette as he didnt learn it when younger. collie told him off, owner told her off for doing so.

What did he do exactly?

deebee

on lead, lab x let him greet. he did nice. collie then came back seeing he was doing nice. i let him off and he nose to nosed with her raher enthueastically (sp)then up her bum (growl) then leg on shoulder (growl snap). thats when owner intervened.

*Nick*

Until the leg-up i don’t see anything wrong.  I would’ve let Sadie off too.    Dogs get nervous on lead, takes one of their defense avenues away, namely flight. 

If other owner hadn’t yelled at his collie do you think it would have progressed to ‘fisticuffs’ between max and the collie?   

GSPmad

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12781.msg246914#msg246914 date=1224882188]
    Until the leg-up i don’t see anything wrong.  I would’ve let Sadie off too.    Dogs get nervous on lead, takes one of their defense avenues away, namely flight.   
    [/quote]

They’re not as nervous on long lines as short leads though, becaus they have more freedom to move and escape.  🙂

deebee

typed a reply and lost it.

fisticuffs, absolutey not. yet. she told him, he backed off. he was not on lead at the time.

*Nick*
    quote :

she told him, he backed off

Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to go?  :happy:

GSPmad

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12781.msg246936#msg246936 date=1224885606]

quote :

she told him, he backed off

Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to go?  :happy:
    [/quote]

Nick, you are a man that understands.  ;D 😀

deebee

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12781.msg246856#msg246856 date=1224877447]

2 – so if you choose not to soc then you use them for training – use them for your “dog work” to get your leaveits good and your heelwork and and and …. proofed with other dogs about walk past them and thats that onto next meeting and you build up better cues – not the idea that everytime you meet dogs he can get let off and do what he likes  😀

Claire x
    [/quote]

this is what i should have done.

dogs are everwhere when you dont want them, then none when you do.! it would have been better if there was only one rather than 5 but i thought i would work with what ive got.
    this is only the second time in 2 months that he met dogs off lead. apart from the slipped leash.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime