Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

upset tummy & blood…

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health upset tummy & blood…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    melinda

I may be worrying over nothing here, I am a worrier by nature though so could do with some advice.

On saturday night, Simba whimpered all night long and cried, we got up to let her out twice but she continued and Jack thought she was just being noisy and told her to be quiet so we could sleep.  She often gets whiny/howly when coming into season so we figured it was that and ignored her after she’d been out twice.

But..poor girl was trying to tell us that she was ill, I woke up to find diaorrhea everywhere, some with the slimy stuff on that she gets when her IBD is set off.  Because of her IBD I assumed she just got something she shouldn’t have and put her back on her basic diet without any extra goodies.  I gave her a small bowl of scrambled eggs with some slippery elm added and so far she’s fine.

We went on a long walk yesterday afternoon, about 3 hours. Oscar did 3 poops, but then kept squatting while we were on the walk and doing runny poops. He does this a lot on walks, keeps stopping to do little tiny poops, but this time at one point blood started coming out, more than just a drop – there was a fair amount. It was running down his bum and legs.

He was still galloping and not showing any signs of discomfort and I had no choice but to continue walking as we were in the middle of the countryside.

When we got home, I cleaned him up and there was no sign of any more blood. Again, he went for a poop this morning and no blood.

It seems an odd coincidence that both should have bad tummies the same day, doesn’t it?

They both had the same thing for dinner the night before that they usually have.  Simba has her fish and potato kibbles with a tiny bit of naturediet and oscar had naturediet and mixer.

The blood, worried me though. Excuse me being crude… but could his constant stopping and ‘straining’ have caused it?  He’s been like this since we got him, always stopping throughout the walk to do little bits of poop, we thought he was just ‘cleaning his system’ out as he ran around, there has never been blood before.

If it happens again, obviously we’ll go to the vet, but he’s been to the vet twice in the past couple of weeks and both times i’ve been charged a fortune for absolutely nothing that I wasn’t already doing at home.

He’s acting fine, doesn’t appear off colour or anything.

xtine

might not be linked but could be HGE which fritz had this weekend… have a look at the thread about him in health and see… he did massive bloody diarrhoea at the vets…

*Lassie*

There is a tummy bug going around in Suffolk, maybe the same  type of thing. Tam had a bug, toileting fine for most part then the tail end was very loose. There was blood passed from overstraining 🙁 he had a bland diet – Chappie and anti- biotics  and is now fine. Could always take a stool sample to be tested.

melinda

I think it may have been a bug, I put them both on bland diet for 24 hours and kept an eye on hydration etc and they’re both fine now.

No blood since, and they haven’t had diaorrhea again.

I hope whatever it is has passed through and is gone.

Oscar didn’t seem bothered by it at all, apart from he kept squatting so I guess he was uncomfortable.

Simba is very sensitive and picks up any tummy bug going around, so I guess if she got it he would too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime