Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

washing silk – help !

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip washing silk – help !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,

I have got a silk duvet and it really needs a freshen up do you think I can risk the w/mach on 30 degree handwash cycle with 500 spin ?

It is raw silk in a form like cotton wool i suppose with a loosely woven outer of cotton?? (not sure) keeping it all “inside”.  It was bought in either china or japan and its only got writing in erm.. dont know what to call them – little pictures made from lines ??

If not any suggestions for getting out “eau du dawg” ?

Claire x

Izzie

Febreeze and Air it? :-\

Anonymous

have tried febreeze i think the fibres are just too dense for it to make a difference and have tried indoor airing (miserable weather) i think what it really needs is sun airing but i need an alternative coz its not sunny lol !!

Izzie

Dry Cleaners?

Will ask the mother- dont own anything silk!  ;D

kizkiznobite

boss lady says….cold wash….lowest spin so drip dry…cool iron…wrong side…using a damp cloth once dry xxx

Mudgie

cold wash keep it away from heat when drying or it will pucker – will need iron but be careful not too hot – nothing worse that sticky iron marks or worse still triangular holes  ::)  will be finey finey – got one that is full of sequins beads (very ethnic) – washes fine on cold wash I hang it over the clothes horse (or pulley as my gran would have called it) and it comes up great.

Anonymous

thanks for the answers everyone 🙂

some of the suggestions sound a bit “not quite right” (especially ironing? maybe thats just because i dont iron anything i can get away with not doing !!!!) – its an actual duvet made from raw silk – looks like cotton wool (ie: the bit usually full of down or hollowfibre) not the cover part with all the nice pretty bits on it.

Claire x

kizkiznobite

uhuh mo says yep…and if you dont iron it out it will ball up and go tacky…so iron it is…mo made one for my sisters eldest (she now 22) when she was born…for her cot…just as you describe…it still going stong even after baby poo and sick…

Anonymous

thats such a good idea for a baby with it being all natural hypoallergenic and all that jazz ! what a lovely mo 🙂

i suppose i could drag myself to iron it !

Claire x

Mudgie

it wont sit right if you dont iron it…. will mishape

kizkiznobite

it actually is very pretty…it a puff ball patchwork…it lovely and a real keepsake with hand tatted (sp) lace done by other sister that tats…very sort of victorian looking…

Anonymous

speaking of victorian looking – i’ve chopped off Harry’s hair !!  🙂

he now looks more like a 2000’s boy !!

Claire x

kizkiznobite

😮 😮 😮 nooooo not yet…noooo badmum  >:D

Anonymous

sorry – i sent him with dad for “a little trim” because it was really in his eyes and he came back all big and growed up  😮 😮  :'( :'( :'(

Claire x

wags

with my silk paintings – i iron them under grease proof paper (or parchement paper if im being posh)

my iron is used for 3 things
    – silk paintings
    – fantasty fibers
    – fantasty film

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime