Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Water

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Water

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    xtine

I need your help guys.

As you know Fritz is a royal pain in the backside when it comes to drinking water, always has been.
    He will drink puddles and will drink the water at the base of drinking fountains on the heath but will not drink at home. We have tried putting all sorts of things in it and he just won’t do it.
    So we are worried. His gums are dry- not surprisingly… but in himself he is generally well..about from recent illness but that seems to be passing now.

Today he has bottled water in his bowl.. not touched it yet.

I have been making his dinners extra sloppy –  like soup to get some liquid in him.. that seems to be working so far…

I guess what i want to know is how much water should a dog fed on natural diet need to take in each day? He gets some moisture from his food.. but that’s not enough is it?

Also, do you think we should have his kidney function checked in case this is a problem? Anything else that might be affected by him not drinking?

Any other ideas  / comments welcome  :-*

.dodger.

not sure about the health testing but one way to get him to drink some water is to put a bone in it. Dodge wont touch mash but if it’s got even just a handful of raw mince dropped in he’ll wolf it down – maybe try added a bit of water in his bowl and putting his chicken wings in that? ???

have you tried diluting goats milk with some water?

xtine

we’ve put meat in it.. he won’t touch it.. if we put his wings in water he would just make a mess everywhere moving them around the kitchen floor..  >:D
    I remember we tried getting fritz to fetch his ball out of a bucket of water with Bev.. took ages, he doesn’t do water  >:D he will tiptoe round a puddle rather than get his toes wet  😀

xtine

he will do yoghurt with some water in it.. but the yoghurt has to be more than the water… same with goats milk…. we can add some water but not too much  :-\

Anonymous

does he like ice cubes? you could freeze watermelon or apple chunks too.

xtine

was also going to add that we have ‘have a drink’ on cue.. except we don’t cause he won’t  >:D but he knows what it means  p:-)

xtine

ahh.. now he like frozen apple.. he has about half an apple a day.. so that’s good  :yes:

when I make his veggie mix I always add a good cupful of water to it…

xtine

so.. another Q…. is he not drinking because he gets plenty in his food?

surely his gums would be slippy tho wouldn’t they?  :-\

.dodger.

get a smallish tub fill it with water, yogurt, fruit and freeze 🙂

Anonymous

just a silly thought,could you put a bucket of water outside your front door, in the hallway outside?, if you have one, he might think ‘I’ll have a bit of that cos its not in my house ??? 😀

*Nick*

not so silly jaydex.  “found water” is the best water!  apparently anyway  ::)  I don’t have the water problem with sadie but with my cats i do.  They will always forsake the water in their bowl to drink from a puddle outside

ya never know, might work.

Anonymous

Since I gave up dried food, I don’t have a water bowl indoor, which I appreciate some won’t agree with.  🙂  Mine have enough water in their food plus there is a bowl of clean water in the garden and they go out every few hours.  But the water of choice is always the birds water!  Try leaving a bowl or plate in the garden – rain water always tastes better!  😉

Sweetypye

Many dogs will not drink tap water as they cannot abide the taste so you could try filtering it (either via a jug or a special tap and canister at the sink) or even better, have a rain butt to collect lots of FREE water with a tap at the bottom to fill the bowl with or an attachment to the butt which means he can help himself.

What is the water bowl made out of?

Plastic ones give off formaldehyde fumes and some dogs get put off by their ID tags clanking on metal ones.  Stainless steel is usually preferred or it could even be the location.

Finally if all else fails you could add some stock; make up a pint of stock using a cube and add some of this water to the bowl.

Some dogs drink very little and some HUGE amounts I have one of each.

Anonymous

When I lived up your way Christine I always used a water butt as the water is crap up there also there was a lot of breeders saying about the birth control that is flushed into the system.
    Our water down here is local and underground it gets filtered and is pretty pure the girls will drink it but they still like a water butt drink
    Val

xtine

ok.. will try a bucket outside.. i think he’ll go for that.. he’s a;ways raiding Suz’s Nans bird baths  😀

I have to say, the London water is probably full of all sorts and he’s probably wise not to want to drink it  :agree:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime