Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

We’ve been Bev’ed

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training We’ve been Bev’ed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

I’m being brave and posting up about Bev’s training and why we needed it so much.

Most people on here will have read through all the problems i’ve had with dodger over the past 17 months so you will know how much i’ve been dying to get Bev up here to help. The dates she is up here are both good and bad timing – good because if he went on how he started he would off been put to sleep before the end of the end IMO and bad because it’s a shame she couldn’t have been up before it all started.

Basically the past friday night me and my mam were going out walking with all four dogs. Dodge was being a right pain on his lead before we even left the street so to let me carm down before going any futher i took him back and put him into the house. I walked to the park with the others then turned around when we got there to go get him. He was walking much better on the way there but as we turned the corner the was a group of young kids on the path playing. Knowing what he is like with people in the dark i crossed over the road and to be safe proceeded to wrap his lead around his mouth. As i was wrapping i was always looking to my left to make sure the kids weren’t coming over little did me or dodger know what that a girl he knows pretty well came out round the side of a car on my right and placed her hand straight on his head.

With both me and dodger getting a shock he lunged at her and although he had no contact with his teeth he manged to get his mouth up over her shoulder. I pulled him back and appologised – she was shocked but unhurt and as we walked away she returned playing with her friend.

The second event was the very next day. I was out with tila and luci and my friend leaving dodge at home with my parents. My dad was clearing the garage out so was on the front drive with the car open. Dodger let himself out into the garage and jumped into the car. He normally sits with my dad like this so my dad just left him. Next door came in and out of their house and he was still fine lying beside the car but a few mins later another neighbough came up from behind my dad – dodge jumped up and circled him barking and growling. My dad pulling him back and put him into a down while he talked to the man.

About 3 mins past and as the man swung his arm towards my dad to point at something dodger lunged at him and grabbed a hold of his arm. My dad pulled him off then told him off before putting him in the house. The man was extremely nice about it and proceeded to laugh it off. No punctures just a little bruise and a ripped coat. :'(

I couldn’t believe it – only a week ago dodger was in a fun dog show being handled by a stranger with no issues at all!  to an experience eye you would have seen it all coming but to me it was the biggest shock i’d ever had to deal with.

I got no time left to explain what Bev has said or how are training is going but i will be on later to add more onto this.

hey laura – well done for being brave enough to post – you have my utter respect, you and Bev will get it sorted, chin up and keep up the hard work, hes a good boy whos gone off the rails a wee bit – hugs to you both xxx  :-*

((hugs)) laura, keep at it i know youll get through it :-*

argh i keep losing my posts!!

((hugs)) laura lots of us have been there so you know you have all our support…well done for sharing!

you and dodge will be fine  :yes:

Izzie

HUGS Laura, you can do this, listen and ask all the questions you need to

:-* :-*

kizkiznobite

it is brave of you laura and i know the reason you wanted to post was so others could learn from your mistakes….

so the first part of that learning is what i always say to clients…on here…in talks..on blogs…

my first lines really…know the breed…know what makes a dog that dog that breed…understand the dog’s drives and instincts and genetics…research and then research again and once you have settled on ‘that’ breed then carry on researching…see the breed in action …all actions…if buying for showing no matter…go see what the dog was bred to do…it all out there…from dalmations being carriage dogs to GSD’s being guarders/herders…and then when you have found a breeder…check the lines, see both parents …ask others that have had from same lines and don’t buy in haste because all pups are cute

.dodger.

thanks for the support – took me a few days to post up about this cause he my baby and i think writing it just makes it all the more real.

Anyway Bev and Mudge came sunday for the asses and it brought to light quite a few things. When Bev first came in he barked at her and was sniffing like mad cause he could smell amilou.
    I didn’t realize just how confusing my cue’s were until then – even i had trouble dealing with them never mind dodge. I guess Bev will be able to go into more detail what her assessment of him was but the training we had to do was back to basic’s.

For her second visit the next day we practised verbal and new hand signals for the sit and the down we also added a new one in which was the back of hand touch. He didn’t bark at her when she first came in which i was extremely pleased about. he had also been very good with people knocking on the door. He would go up and look then go back into the living room when i asked with none of his usual barking and jumping up.
    Benji and Luci also got their turn at doing some freeshaping – proving that benji is young at body and mind. Unlike luci benji caught on fast and did it really well.
    Our homework for the next day was to practise verbal cue’s while sitting, standing and moving around along with doing some extra work on his ‘heal close’ and ‘this way’ cue’s. We also had to get the sit wait for when people come to the door.

All was going so well – i could see a much carmer and more responsive dog in just day to day stuff but we had another accident which was my fault on the weds afternoon.

My dad’s friend came to the door and dodger was put into his sit wait. I started to open the door and dodger moved so it was shut and we started over. He was doing brill and after about 15 seconds of the door being wide open with him sitt sitting he was told he coud go greet. He made a mad dash out of the house and was level with the man when i called him back in. Once in the house he was told to sit wait again which he did. The man entered with no problems from dodger and asked where my dad was. I told him him he was in the kicthen and to just go on through. At this point dodger lunged from his sitting place up towards the man who was walking into the living room.

He jumped across me so i stopped him with my arm aorund his chest as well as the man jumping to the side meant he didn’t make any contact. I panic’d and grabbed his mouth before walking up stairs with dodge infront. Obviously very upset i spoke to bev who asked what do i say to dodger to allow him to go through the door if i’ve asked him to wait. my answer ‘ go on’ without realising it i had cue’d dodger to ‘go on’ do what he wants to do. I think this just shows how important what the verbal cue’s are.

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12553.msg242645#msg242645 date=1222461816]
    it is brave of you laura and i know the reason you wanted to post was so others could learn from your mistakes….

so the first part of that learning is what i always say to clients…on here…in talks..on blogs…

my first lines really…know the breed…know what makes a dog that dog that breed…understand the dog’s drives and instincts and genetics…research and then research again and once you have settled on ‘that’ breed then carry on researching…see the breed in action …all actions…if buying for showing no matter…go see what the dog was bred to do…it all out there…from dalmations being carriage dogs to GSD’s being guarders/herders…and then when you have found a breeder…check the lines, see both parents …ask others that have had from same lines and don’t buy in haste because all pups are cute
    [/quote]
    i couldn’t agree more now – was going through some very bad times when i got dodger (it was the reason i got him) and looking back now i know i would have walked away but i have him now and i love him so at least i know what not to do next time and i can pass on my experience to show just how improtant it is to do the research on the breed before you go get one!

((hugs))

kizkiznobite

dodger is what he is…a high drive bright gsd…he wont accept or cope with inconsistency..he wont cope with being nagged or barked at…he reads anxiety and kicks in protect mode..he responds to active body language…the good and the bad…when i motivate him on leash for example he responds big time…he over responds to some extent…he becomes silly and puppyish and nips my bum as he goes off into herd mode…he doesnt do low body language and barky voice but there is a brain in there and it needs reaching and directing…he knows my ‘excuse me’ now…he also responded to laura’s once the tone was right…he responded to ami’s signals..i cued her to allow the sniff up bum but the face greets i kept on what i knew were her terms…she warned him once…that was enough …he followed it and did perfect leave its after she had worked it…he bright…he needs consistency, fair but firm and most importantly we need a trust shift…at the moment he thinks he has to protect …he needs to learn the ok lado thanks but i am in control now so back it down…sometimes we have to protect them from themselves..he not easy and it not going to be easy…for either dodger, laura or the family and the rest of the pack…will see what tomorrow brings …fingers crossed everyone

*Nick*

from 3000 miles away laura you get all my respect and best wishes. You are a wonderful and bright young lady and i just know you will win the day.

and to the Dodge, ‘you know I luv ya big boy, now listen and understand yer mum, you will be a great one someday soon’ 

and to Bev, work your magic girl! If anyone can solve this, you can!

kizkiznobite

am trying hun…the problem is..as i have expained to laura..is that the lado had now learnt that he can bite and has therefore lost bite inhibition…and that real hard and means that trust will never be at 100% again..have said many times that the safest dog is the dog with a cued bite because then you have the off bite cue too..it a hard concept as we all think our dogs will never bite as daft as they might be but they all have the potential and with some dogs and some breeds it the only way to go…but it takes skill and then application…

Lisa33

Oh Laura! I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this with dodge :'(  Be strong and I’m sure you and dodge will get through it :-*

deebee

good luck laura. thinking of you today  :-*

good luck today Laura, and Bev and Dodger and the rest of the familly, and keep us updated ok x

.dodger.

thanks all. :-* :-*
    [quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12553.msg242683#msg242683 date=1222466818]
    from 3000 miles away laura you get all my respect and best wishes. You are a wonderful and bright young lady and i just know you will win the day.

and to the Dodge, ‘you know I luv ya big boy, now listen and understand yer mum, you will be a great one someday soon’ 

and to Bev, work your magic girl! If anyone can solve this, you can!
    [/quote]
    and thanks Nick that really means alot :-*

We got my granda coming up this morning so i’m trying to keep the house and me carm and relaxed. Fingers crossed that everything goes well.

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12553.msg242684#msg242684 date=1222467405]
    am trying hun…the problem is..as i have expained to laura..is that the lado had now learnt that he can bite and has therefore lost bite inhibition…and that real hard and means that trust will never be at 100% again..have said many times that the safest dog is the dog with a cued bite because then you have the off bite cue too..it a hard concept as we all think our dogs will never bite as daft as they might be but they all have the potential and with some dogs and some breeds it the only way to go…but it takes skill and then application…
    [/quote]
    just a thought, i know i’ve had major problems with getting to working trials but if my mam was willing would you see this as a good or bad thing? I was thinking good because it teaches the on bite and off bite as well as the obidence and tracking (which he really good at) so would it be something to think about once the basic training is back under control? Or is this another flyball type thing that ain’t gunna be good for him? ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime