Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Were back! Urgent help needed though please!!!??!

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Were back! Urgent help needed though please!!!??!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

am a bit confused toppy…they different dogs different breeds different sizes…how can you control the feeding by allowing them to eat whatever from whichever bowl…i agree with SP and foxy…you putting the wee one at risk and you teaching him to up the anti with resource guarding…he will move it on..next it will be toys then you then any resource…

toppy

Ok will feed seperate, He is fine with us taking bowl/putting it down he sits and waits until his food has been put down for him and he feeds out the hand with no problem, its just milly but obviously after reading your posts it is kind of obvious now, so i take it will be same feeding times different place for each dog! Bowls up after each feed?  just puppy is used to having food down constantly this ok or should i be looking for childgate??

Sweetypye, I used to have issues with bigger dogs but puppy has grown on me, i do feel confident with him in house it more when we are out im not so confident at the moment but im working on that and we are ringing a training group today thats not far from us which i think will help while we are out and about.

Thanks people for your input and help, just glad this board is here to sort me out  ::)

Sweetypye

I would stgrongly suggest that you do not allow free feeding the puppy there is no need.

If you DO then you will need to separate the dogs by gates at all times; how practical is this?

With a DdB you need to minimise any potential resource guarding opportunities……………….

kizkiznobite

a dog needs to fill empty fill empty gut…no dog should just be able to snack out…it puts an enormous strain on the internal organs…i assume you feeding dry ?

toppy

Sorry, laptop been down for too long, fixed now though!

Yes he is on dry food, it doesnt have a name though, uncle buys it from health something in Burnley?? he brings the bags up, im really worried thoug as he is not putting weight on and you can sometimes see his ribs..?? surely this isnt natural in large breeds????

And he might be going back to uncle soon aswell  :'(

when i had my puppy he wouldnt put weight on at all with dry food but as soon as i put him onto neatural (meat) feeding he put on weight.
    dry biscuites are not good for putting on weight as they contain sugar, that is what i have been told.
    can you perhaps substitute a coupe of feedings a week with some meat and fats instead?

Diesel73
    quote :

im really worried thoug as he is not putting weight on and you can sometimes see his ribs..?? surely this isnt natural in large breeds?

Notice them or really sticking out? My boys are longhaired but one can feel their ribs like….. like playing piano.

toppy

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hmm Diesel, there not poking out as though he as been starved (if you know what i mean) but because he is short haired they are deinately noticable, i will see if i can get a picture to show use!  but it looks odd as he is all bulky muscle and stocky up front then hes so skinny rib down  ???

will try that kerrie thanks!

Another thing guys, could it be he is pining for uncle?  although i dont see any other signs of this apart from weight mainly, because i have been reading up on DDB’s and apparently they get really attatched to their owners more so than alot of dogs??? not sure how true this is?

Sweetypye

Nothing can be more attached to an owner than a GSD and if they were that affected RESCUE would not exist. So I doubt if he is pining.

I cannot remember how old your dog would be now, but bear in mind that large and giant breeds tend to be ribby until quite late especially entire males, perfectly normal and too much weight is not good for their joints etc.

Diesel73
    quote :

but it looks odd as he is all bulky muscle and stocky up front then hes so skinny rib down 

Hmmm……. i know what you mean but many folks feed youngdog way to much because they think it is too skinny when it actually is not. Would need to see it.

And also remind what sweettype said. about large breed entire males  😉 .

toppy

🙂 thanks guys!

Will get a pic when i can ind my darn lead for the laptop  ::) hopefully be soon!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime