Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

what do you ask a vet?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health what do you ask a vet?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    deebee

i’ve had Max 2 months now and haven’t got round to sorting out a vet yet  :blindfold:

how do you know that one practice is better than the other?
    have you any suggestions as to questions i should ask to see what they are like?
    should i be able to talk to a vet on the phone to ‘interview’ them?

i really should sort this before i need one, dont want to discover ive used a steroid/antibiotic happy vet who wants me to feed hills science  :agree:

GSPmad

That’s a tricky one.  ;D I would say word of mouth is good – if you find 50 people that say their vet is wonderful… but easier said than done. If someone has had to have their dog in for something – beyond routine health check etc – then if they are happy with costs, how vet kept them informed, how vet treated their dog etc etc… that would be a good guide.

If you are asking vets direct…. do they tend to recommend any particular type of food (but you may find 5 different vets giving 5 different answers – and you may find that one vet in the practice does it different to the others – which is why I think word of mouth may work better) – what is their attitude to vaccination\ titre testing…. what is their out of hours cover…. errrmmm – will let you know if I can think of any more.

A good question, I am looking into a practice near enough to me that has a vet that has a more holistic leaning, I should really give them a call back, they said they are happy for me to call in without Toby for a quick chat with him which I thought was really good too.  Where abouts are you as someone on here could maybe recommend too?!

Aly12

Do you meet people with dogs while you are out walking?  If so, I would ask them who their vet is and if they are really happy with them.  I am very happy with my vet and if it wasn’t for her doing tests and then sending Molly to the vet school as an emergency when she was 9 months old Molly wouldn’t be here now.  My neighbour actually changed vets to the one I use a few months ago as she wasn’t happy with the one she was using and my daughter’s friend uses our vet although there is one nearer to where she stays as she also wasn’t happy.  Word of mouth is best

deebee

thanks, thats a good start. cant ask people when out with him. takes all my  concentration for him to not go potty atm!

GSPmad

[quote author=deebee link=topic=12863.msg247309#msg247309 date=1225104907]
    thanks, thats a good start. cant ask people when out with him. takes all my  concentration for him to not go potty atm!

[/quote]

Go out without him to places where people walk their dogs, chat to them and interrogate them.  ;D Might be a way to find people with dogs to help you with Max’s training too.  🙂

kizkiznobite

last week i did the fianl session with a client that came from a practice ref…..the clients said that in all their years of visiting vets this vet gave them the feeling of enormous ‘ease’…that the way the vet explained the possibles and then the possible extremes and then ….but lets go with a before we consider b etc made them have total respect and trust….this is the relationship i have with Hugh Duffin….it about being at ease…being at ease enough to say when stressed and scared and worried…hey…hang on..i need that one more time…or nope…aint going there so offer me something else…and when you can do and say that and no offense is taken and discussion can stay at a ‘sane’ level without feeling small or inadequate or un-educated…then you got a good vet….

Anonymous

deebee – dont you live near izzie ??

perhaps ask her ?

deebee

no, an hour away. me north essex she south essex/london.

we ‘meet’ about a dog a week (unless they come in packs of 5 :whistle:)  and there seems no set time that they are out.

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12863.msg247311#msg247311 date=1225105681]
    last week i did the fianl session with a client that came from a practice ref…..the clients said that in all their years of visiting vets this vet gave them the feeling of enormous ‘ease’…that the way the vet explained the possibles and then the possible extremes and then ….but lets go with a before we consider b etc made them have total respect and trust….this is the relationship i have with Hugh Duffin….it about being at ease…being at ease enough to say when stressed and scared and worried…hey…hang on..i need that one more time…or nope…aint going there so offer me something else…and when you can do and say that and no offense is taken and discussion can stay at a ‘sane’ level without feeling small or inadequate or un-educated…then you got a good vet….
    [/quote]

thats what i want (dont we all)

travis

My first vet was rubbish,I nearly lost Travis by his lack of knowledge

Whilst looking for another vet,I met a man at the beach one day who amazingly knew what breed Travis was,he had lost his dog 3 years before,we got chatting and he mentioned his son in law was a vet,actually he is the vet my Dad uses for the horse’s,I realised he would know the breed,so I went to meet him,he wasn’t bothered that I fed raw,he feed’s his own cats and dogs a raw diet.Travis has only seen him twice in just under 2 yrs,when he had a severe ear infection and when the toad had him a few week’s ago.My first vet was hopeless,I was there on a weekly basis,if it wasn’t for this forum I am sure Travis would of been taken by the RSPCA with me being charged with neglect

Anonymous

aha

i got friends north essex – anywhere near harlow area and i will get reccommendations as i know she raves about her vets (she also runs a rescue too).

claire x

Mudgie

Angela

nacho is with a practice at Low Fell – uses holistic stuff too – took nooch in with me – nooch liked her – she liked nooch – havent needed her but good to be registered.

Dogwalker told me about her – a lot of her clients come from long way off

will pm you her details

deebee

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12863.msg247338#msg247338 date=1225114207]
    aha

i got friends north essex – anywhere near harlow area and i will get reccommendations as i know she raves about her vets (she also runs a rescue too).

claire x
    [/quote]

nowhere harlow either. in fact im nowhere near anything really ;D
    15 mins south of sudbury suffolk, thats how north i am

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime