- This topic has 22 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 10 months ago by Anonymous.
November 14, 2008 at 7:22 pm #62590AnonymousGuest
Am not sure If I should mate Kodi this season, I want to, BUT…… is it the right time? With the state of the country at the moment I am in 2 minds what to do now, I dont want to have a load of puppies on my hands because no one has the money to buy them, she will be 3 in March then if I wait for her next season she’ll be nearly 4, and the one after that 4 1/2. Is that too old for a litter?I had planned on this season because they would almost be summer puppies, easier for housetraining, families at home during summer hols etc, no worries about people buying a pup for xmas. Out of the 3 litters Dex has sired 2 were summer ones and sold really quick the others were ready Jan and seemed to take ages to sell.
What do you guys think? should we wait or go ahead? :help:November 14, 2008 at 7:26 pm #110383.dodger.Member
i’m no expert but i would say go ahead. If it wasn’t for the money issue it would be perfect timing (for the summer pups) and whats to say that the state of the country will be any better by her next season? Have you got a website Sue?November 14, 2008 at 7:37 pm #110384AnonymousGuest
No Laura no webby, not really clever at that sort of thing but might be a good idea eh! maybe someone would do one for me, then I can put all her test results on and a few piccies etc :-\November 14, 2008 at 7:38 pm #110385AnonymousGuest
If people want a pup they will find the money, if she was mine I would breed her she needs to mature on to go up the classes at the shows and a litter is what is needed.
As for pups I would ask the club if there are a lot of pups on the puppy list just as a guide remember what you can sell at this time of year is not what you will sell next year.
As far as I think there is always a market for a well bred health tested pup but you are putting the cart before the horse wait until all her health checks are in first.
ValNovember 14, 2008 at 7:43 pm #110386AnonymousGuest
Your right (of course) ;D just someone said the other day ooooo you dont want to have a load of pups now, no one will have any money etc etc , just got me wondering thats all.
Got my VWD kit have to send it back for the 26th Nov as its going back in a batch, tried phoning HD lady but kept getting answer phone,so will try again next week.
ThanksNovember 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm #110387AnonymousGuest
Fingers crossed, leave a message but keep phoning daily you will get her but she’s so busy have not a clue what her shifts are these days
ValNovember 14, 2008 at 8:19 pm #110388Foxisle_crazyMember
OMG,im so excited!November 14, 2008 at 8:27 pm #110389.dodger.Member
yup a webby would be a good idea Sue :yes: i don’t know much about starting one but if you want any help, once it’s up, with pic’s ect just let me know :-*
good luck with the rest of the health tests and don’t forget to post as soon as you know – i’m dying with excitement already 😀November 14, 2008 at 8:48 pm #110390SuzAndTheDivaMember
Sue I used MR Site for my website – is good and easy – may be btter ones to use, but this one virtually talked me through it ;D pm Minpin 😉November 14, 2008 at 9:18 pm #110391AnonymousGuest
I understand why you’re worried Jay. I have no idea what it’s like in your breed but there are a lot of very established breeders in Roughs – the ideal family pet! – who are stuck with pups at the moment, many for the first time in 20+ years. Their show quality pups have all gone to their booked homes because exhibitors are trying to keep their lines going. But they have had booked pet pups cancel and no more enquiries to replace them. I know of one breeder with 4 x 4 month old pups, which is unheard of, and she’s finding it very difficult to give them all individual attention when she was only planning to have the one that she was going to keep by this time. And of course at this age, they have been jabbed and are now eating her out of house and home and costing a fortune!
Have to say that unless I had at least 6 confirmed in concrete homes waiting, I don’t think that I would mate a bitch now. But if you have enough homes lined up … and this is the right time for you to keep a puppy, then maybe. 🙂November 14, 2008 at 9:23 pm #110392ronaMember
Aren’t there enough dogs needing homes. Unless you have homes lined up isn’t it a little irresponcable to breed at the momentNovember 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm #110393AnonymousGuest
If I was irresponsible I wouldnt be asking the question ::), wouldnt be having health tests done, wouldnt be worried about it.
Thanks for your input Rough thats exactly what concerns me, got quite a few shows coming up so will be asking other owners what they think, if they know of any litters due, if so how many, and also asking whether anyone would be interested in a pup, they will all know the stud dog , so that MAY be an advantage I dont know.
Have a good few months to think about it yet 🙂November 14, 2008 at 11:23 pm #110394*Nick*Member
What dis mean? :confused:
“if she was mine I would breed her she needs to mature on to go up the classes at the shows and a litter is what is needed.”November 15, 2008 at 7:20 am #110395AnonymousGuest
How many have you got on your waiting list Jay? I think that you have bigger litters than Roughs, who only have 5-6 on average? It’s the pet pups that I suspect will be the problem to home and they are the ones that you don’t want to be stuck with! :confused:
“if she was mine I would breed her she needs to mature on to go up the classes at the shows and a litter is what is needed.”
I understand what you’re saying Val but I’m not sure that’s a good enough reason to have a litter in a numerically large breed that is struggling with the numbers in rescue and the financial problems of potential pet puppy buyers at the moment. :-\November 15, 2008 at 8:41 am #110396wagsMember
[quote author=Val link=topic=13052.msg251505#msg251505 date=1226691507]
If people want a pup they will find the money,
but where from
it said on the news this morning that a lot of people were choosing between eating and heating
my morgage company has set up a special department dedicated “just” to people thinking about surrendering their keys
no one has any money at the moment and i know a few breeders with – left overs as well because the homes they had lined up simply cant afford the purchase price its not that they dont want a pup its because they simply dont have the money
personally i think its a very difficult decission – and i agree with Rough really on this its only a choice you can make
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.