Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

What sounds fair?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs What sounds fair?

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    *Lassie*

As Tam is on restricted exercise at the moment he just got a walk round the block this morning then I took Willow for a long walk up the heath, she didn’t seem to miss him at all but never left my side the whole time we were out.
    Glad I missed the squabble on here, people tend to get more personal and nasty when it’s in print rather than face to face. I come on here to get away from problems :yes:

kizkiznobite

poster asked a question…didnt need owt else..just what folk do and what was considered fair on dog…

depends on health and stamia levels…on the norm for the dog …depends on lots really…no point in taking out a dog if one is feeling panic stricken and anxious and hyped up…

falkor can no longer do his walks…ok can go in car out of boot have a 5 min romp…can’t do his walks

sam..well he off the planet right now…walking not much of an option..his he miserable? suffering? nope…just cant do his walks…aint the end of the world

cubert..he could do and would like to do hours and miles…got joints to care for..so he aint..full stop

ami…well ami will get and be happy with what i decide..

depends on dog…health and stamina…yep they like out…yep some need more than others…aint the end of the world if they don’t get…remember mrs windsor and her huge boxer…they manage just fine…both happy bunnies..

just wish more folks cared as much about gettting fluent cues and behaviours as much as they seem to think of taking dog for a walk regardless…

GSPmad

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12500.msg241890#msg241890 date=1222021657]
    I come on here to get away from problems :yes:
    [/quote]

That’s what I used to do.  :-\

Wasn’t just talking about walks and exercise – was talking about whole lot – as in clicker training, hide and seek games etc etc. Mental as well as physical stimulation if you like.

Oh – and saw a mention of Plessey in one of the posts. presuming you know – as apparently it’s old news and there are signs up – but have been told by someone who lives near there that a trigger happy farmer shot a couple of dogs there about a year ago…. thought it was worth knowing if you weren’t aware….

You make a good point Bev, we are still very much working on recall and leash walking with Toby, but to keep up the momentum and keep him interested sometimes his whole day that would be walking time is taken up with 15 minute training slots in the house and on the field at the end of our street, those days I look at him and think, weve all gotten more out of today than if we’d tramped off to the riverside for a couple of hours and worn ourselves out that way instead!  I get so tired with all the extra work I’m doing at the mo, plus my first experience of running a house (sounds pathetic I know) but some days we could both do with upping the ante on the training and chilling out resting our bones!

well beau goes out twice a day every day dad generally takes him with ben they go for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in the morning then an hour in the pm, sometimes if dad has been at docs or something then i’ll take them after work, or sometimes i’ll take them anyway after work and they will get a 3rd walk (quite often i’ll just take beau though as ben isn’t as excitable about walks as beau is)

from friday pm i take beau and stick to the same routine except at weekends beau comes everywhere with me and quite often gets to mess around at the horses field etc

gotta say though i started out walking them every night after work until a really bad Oct/Nov with fireworks so i had 2 months of not walking got out of my routine and haven’t as yet gotten back into it….but trying to fed up of being in a depressive lul  :yes: lol and i love my weekends just need to make my brain understand that i’ll enjoy it whilst out.

to answer the qu in more general terms beau would go mad if he wasn’t walked, if we have had a day of doing nothing it gets to about 2.30 and he’s bouncing at me every 10 minutes reminding me he needs his afternoon walk.  mental stuff he hates doing in the house, he’s beyond that, outside if i do training he’ll do it with an attitude of ‘i hope you realise you are wasting my time here’  but get him out ina training environment with other dogs and excitement then he’s a happy worker  :yes: and a show off!  :yes: hope that heps

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12500.msg242047#msg242047 date=1222093328]

Oh – and saw a mention of Plessey in one of the posts. presuming you know – as apparently it’s old news and there are signs up – but have been told by someone who lives near there that a trigger happy farmer shot a couple of dogs there about a year ago…. thought it was worth knowing if you weren’t aware….
    [/quote]

Yep, its true, i know.  🙂  There are some highland cattle in plessey and its bordered a farm with cattle and sheep. It was lambing time when it happened i think, and the dogs had no recall to speak of  ::)

Lucyr

Our dogs go out every day, certain one’s go out twice per day (depending which one’s need it).

At a minimum they get one hour (roughly) per day as long as they are in full health, my Rottie is recovering from a cruciate op so he has abit less.  This may be roadwalking, off lead play with other dogs or both depending where our walk takes us. 

I work full time (home lunchtimes with the dogs), have a partner (don’t live together yet so have to make time to see him), have friends, go to the gym and am also studying for a diploma but I chose to get the dogs and they come first above everything.  Yes it is manic but I wouldn’t have it any other way!!

Anonymous

Hi,

My dogs come joint first with Harry 🙂  I organise all my days around them and “dish out” the time as I feel best 🙂  We have manic days and calmer days it just depends on who wants and needs to do what really.  I chose to get my dogs and they chose me too and I know they love it here 🙂

This week the dogs have been out saturday as a family for free running, sunday for a mix of free running and off-lead heel training, yesterday for a walk with Harry and I, they’ve not been out today and its tea time now so they wont get a walk – i shall be working through me new sarah fischer book 2nite as its fab, tomorrow and thursday are my “dog days” so we’ll probably be out for 2 or 3 walks each day and friday could go either way as we’ve nowt planned yet and thats the week done !

Claire.

Anonymous

Loki usually gets:

6 am – breakfast
    7.30 – approx 40 mins walk in park before I go to work
    11am – 1hr with dog walker & his best mate milly the yellow lab -in differnt park.
    2.30pm – 1 hr lead walk around roads with dog walker
    6pm dinner
    evening (varies on timing) – visit to yet another different park or lead walk or training (or a combination).

I think Loki needs quite alot tho… and he is always just as happy to chill out at home as to go out.

If I was at home all day – I would take him out less times, but for longer – if that makes sense… So at weekends he might get a 30 mins first thing walk – then a big walk at 10 or 11am – and one other short outing late afternoon.

Our dog walker is away at the mo – so Loki is doing something totally differnt – which is making him the most tired ever  😀 After I take him for his morning walk I am dropping him at a freinds house so he spends the whole day with his mate Milly the yellow lab – and her owner who works from home – he is taking them for one lunchtime walk – and they are playing in the garen and house all day… by the time we collect him at 5.30pm he is shattered…  ;D

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime