Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

whining??

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs whining??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Stan has started whining a lot. he whines when i sort his food, when i get up in the morning, when we are just sat, when im talking. i have no idea why he is doing it, i dont re-enforce it, i ignore it but he just keeps doing it.
    anyone got any idea on how to stop it or why he might be doing it?

Diesel73

If he keeps doing it all of a sudden than at some point is must have worked and he keeps using it. Most likely it worked without you realizing it. You really got no idea when or with what?

well there was just after he had his opp and i did dote on him quite a bit so it is possible that i did it then without realising :-X plus he was on house arrest for 10 days after the opp so i probly did re-enforce it a bit by giving him chews and things whilst he wasnt allowed out for a walk…. ok probly was my fault lol so how do i teach him not to now

Mudgie

keep ignoring it  ;D  reward the good ignore the bad  😉

Teach him quiet  ;D  ssshhh – reward it  ;D  once he has that fluent when he whines sssh him  ;D

Diesel73

Yep, you got to give him an ‘off’ switch. He not getting anything done until he shuts up. He shuts up? He get’s his…. whatever it is.
    No shutting up, not getting it (what ever it is).
    Try hitting the ‘off’ switch first with a treat when he wants his food. Is easiest as he is already focust on ‘fooooood’.

Diesel already had an ‘off’ switch but at some point developed this annoooying wining, überhyperthing just befor we open the back door. I tought him that when he sits and is completely QUIET the door opens. Moment he starts making noise or starts fijitting , door just closes again. It takes some time to find the ‘off’ switch  ::) … but it’s worth it  :yes:

Mudgie

I had it when we were driving the car and got near a walk…… or near home – used to drive me  :ugly:

Takes time and loads of patience but worth it in the end.

*Nat*

Ignoring it will work, Sky whined all the time when we left her on her own, even if we just went upstairs and she was in the kitchen but she’s loads better now. Like Mudgie says time and patience  🙂

When we’re going out she can read the visual cues now as to whether she’s coming or not and if she knows she’s not coming she settles in her bed, not a sound. When we first got her she whined and whined, could hear her after shutting the front door, it was horrible  🙁 But over the time we’ve had her she’s learnt that we do come back and is fine now  :ok:

Stick with it, you’ll get there in the end  :ok:

well he learnt very quickly that he doesnt get fed unless he is quiet and calm, every time he made the slitest sound i left the kitchen and sat down for 2 mins lol he picked that up quick 😀
    the hardest one is first thing in the morning when he does it, ive laid in bed for half hour before cos he just kept pacing and whinning.
    ok will keep up the ignoring the bad and rewarding the good and hopefull he will click one day and realise its getting him no were

well you cant lay in bed lol! id just get up when i was ready and ignore him – just let him outside if he needs a wee and caryr on with daily routine till he shuts up!

Val

:what: Doesn’t he know Go to bed or down

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=15368.msg276791#msg276791 date=1283716207]
    well he learnt very quickly that he doesnt get fed unless he is quiet and calm, every time he made the slitest sound i left the kitchen and sat down for 2 mins lol he picked that up quick 😀
    the hardest one is first thing in the morning when he does it, ive laid in bed for half hour before cos he just kept pacing and whinning.
    ok will keep up the ignoring the bad and rewarding the good and hopefull he will click one day and realise its getting him no were
    [/quote]

Mudgie

toilet him and go back to bed and ignore him  :nono:

If you havent got a “into bed” or whatever cue you use for him to go to bed then you need to work on that too  ;D

You need to work at showing the dog what you want it to do instead…. that way you wont be so frustrated about what it is doing that you dont want it to do.  You need to lead the way.  The dog doesnt know unless you tell it.  You need to teach what you want, reinforce it in a good way and then happy household  😉

You do realise this isnt the dog’s fault  ;D 

oh yes mudgie i know it is something that i have caused and that it isnt stans fault *slaps own hand*, im more fraustrated at me getting it so wrong rather than at stan
    he does know bed and down but he quite often sleeps in the lounge because its cooler in the summer.

I think i know what caused this all and it is definatly my fault, i accept that but now i need to show him that everything is ok and back to normal again and that will take a lot of learning on my part  ;D

*Nat*

What’s happened to your signature pic Kerrie  ???

no idea will have to get another one made ;D ;D

Lisa33

You may have either deleted the pic from photobucket or have moved it to a different album.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime